A Couple of Amusing Anecdotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
So I was subbing in my favorite 4th grade classroom last Tuesday. In the middle of the afternoon we take a "brain break" when the kids have their snack and do an activity like tossing a beach ball. The teacher lets them play a song or two during this time, so I sent one girl over to work the IPod (no, I don't :rolleyes: ), and of course two of her friends went to "help" and I heard them saying "No! Go down, down...there! Bon Jovi!", and sure enough there came the strains of "Living on a Prayer". Well, pretty much every kid in the room dropped what they were doing and started dancing and singing, with all their little voices chiming in on the chorus: "Whoaa, we're halfway the-ere, Ohhh-ohhh! Living on a Pray-er..." and some were doing the John Travolta disco move. I just sat there and laughed till tears rolled down my cheeks, and finally asked them, "Do you know how old that song is?" :D

Moral: We now have definitive proof that Rock-n-Roll will never die. :cool:

Then on Thursday I was subbing in P.E. at a school I don't go to very often, and I was standing at the gym doors greeting the 2nd graders as they filed in. One little boy stopped right in his tracks, tilted his head back, looked up into my face, and announced, "You look like a real nice woman!"
Later, when I had divided the kiddettes into groups for their bean bag throw activity, that same little guy came over to me to complain, "Mrs. Logan? They're saying my bean bag didn't go in (the crate), but I saw it, and it was heading right over the edge, and then the wind blew it right off the edge onto the ground!" You know, there are times when you must keep a straight face even when you are howling with laughter on the inside. I calmly told him that the high walls on either side of the gym prevented the wind from coming inside, so I thought he should go back and try again...I was sure he would succeed on his next turn, and then turned and walked away with my shoulders shaking from repressed laughter. :p

Moral: Don't let your classmates dissuade you from being an athletic prodigy.;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My daughter works as a contract food service person in a grade school cafeteria. Some of the stories she brings home are priceless...especially about the special ed kids. Its too bad they have to grow up. They're so cute and so funny when small!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
haha I love those stories!! My kindergartners make me laugh every single day :) They are just too funny! I write down the funny things they say- I'll have to share stories some time :)

I always thought I wanted to teach K-2 but I was in a 4th grade classroom for 3 weeks and they were AWESOME. It it such a fun age. They're old enough to joke around with you but still young enough to be cute and innocent :) Not to mention they were all ANGELS- not one behavior problem in that class, it was crazy!

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
ChiKat said:
haha I love those stories!! My kindergartners make me laugh every single day :) They are just too funny! I write down the funny things they say- I'll have to share stories some time :)

I always thought I wanted to teach K-2 but I was in a 4th grade classroom for 3 weeks and they were AWESOME. It it such a fun age. They're old enough to joke around with you but still young enough to be cute and innocent :) Not to mention they were all ANGELS- not one behavior problem in that class, it was crazy!

Oh man, I had such a different experience when I was a substitute teacher and working my way through grad school. I was SURE that I wanted to teach 4th or 5th grade, and then when I started subbing I quickly changed my mind-- the 4th and 5th graders I had were impossibly sassy. And then I spent a couple of months subbing in kindergarten and grew to love it. When it came time to do my student teaching, I wound up in a 1st grade classroom, and I was certain that the lower grades are for me.
But you guys are right, when I was a sub I always had a notebook with me (so I could do my grad work during free periods and lunch time) and would write down all of the weird things the kids said... very entertaining things they come up with sometimes!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I still want to teach K-2 but I definitely liked 4th grade more than I thought I would. Again it might just have been the amazing group of kids that were in the class! They wrote letters to me and gave them to me on my last day. One boy wrote "You are so nice. I think you will make a great teacher with the amount of how nice you are!" :D

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
ChiKat said:
They are just too funny! I write down the funny things they say- I'll have to share stories some time :)

Yes, you must! Kindergarteners wear me out--they are sweet but SO so needy and still learning all of those fundamental boundaries...it's the ultimate in multi-tasking and irrefutable proof that teachers don't get paid enough! :p

"Oh man, I had such a different experience when I was a substitute teacher and working my way through grad school. I was SURE that I wanted to teach 4th or 5th grade, and then when I started subbing I quickly changed my mind-- the 4th and 5th graders I had were impossibly sassy."

Haha, yes, there are definitely days where I feel like I am tapdancing on a bed of nails while juggling chainsaws, and many times the "story" of the day isn't funny until I've had time to "recover" from it. :cool:

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
Exactly... it's the recovery and distance that helps a story that could be almost tear-worthy at the time become funny. I worked in a really "rough" school... I've had ten year-old boys as tall as I am get up in my face furiously yelling. :rolleyes: Funny now, then... terrifying! I think that's why I like the little ones, FAR more likely to hug than hit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.