another one D:

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Okay.. So I was given ANOTHER sulcata. Right now. Since I don't have money for another enclosure. It is in the same enclosure as my current one, Saturn. I know I can't keep them together forever. (considering this baby is VERY small) Speaking of her INTENSE small-ness, is their a possibility she could be a runt? I'll upload pictures of her later because i am at school.

She is very light and was given to me because the person was willingly neglecting it. It showed up in a box with a note that read something along the lines of, "Hi. I know that you have a baby tortoise. I found this tortoise and I have had it for atleast 2-3 weeks. I can't take care of it. I haven't been taking care of her either. She hasn't eaten, and she hasn't pooped or drank anything at all. I want to give her a chance at life. Because if I keep her she won't live."
( I will also show pictures of this aswell. )

She is MOST LIKELY saturns sister. I HAVE to keep this baby. She is so feisty and has a COMPLETE different personality than saturn. She wouldn't eat but I put her outside and IMMEDIATLEY she started to eat. She was drinking. She is yet to poop. I am very excited because I did the spur test on her and one is bigger than the other ( I think that means she is a she). Im not sure what to name her. Maybe pandora because since she is so small, ( and if you didn't know pandora is one of Saturns moons.)

If you have any suggestions, PLEASE tell me!

Last edited:

Melis

Maryland
Hello. It’s not really a good idea to put a new tort In with yours. There should always be a quarenteen period, especially since you don’t know the health of this other one, even though it may be a sibling.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Hello. It’s not really a good idea to put a new tort In with yours. There should always be a quarenteen period, especially since you don’t know the health of this other one, even though it may be a sibling.
Thats the problem. I don't have another tank or something to quarentine it in. I gave away my last tank to my fish and the only other one I have is 5 gallons. My 40, 30, and 20 gallons are all in use. and I dont have another bin I can put it in. (If I did it wouldn't be with my other tortoise in general. It seems healthy aside from how small it is. I can tell it hasn't eaten. I have already put them together and they seem to not care for each other. They ignore eachother for the mostpart.

I dont see any signs of respitory problems. And I dont see anything on it. (growths and what not.)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thats the problem. I don't have another tank or something to quarentine it in. I gave away my last tank to my fish and the only other one I have is 5 gallons. My 40, 30, and 20 gallons are all in use. and I dont have another bin I can put it in. (If I did it wouldn't be with my other tortoise in general. It seems healthy aside from how small it is. I can tell it hasn't eaten. I have already put them together and they seem to not care for each other. They ignore eachother for the mostpart.

I dont see any signs of respitory problems. And I dont see anything on it. (growths and what not.)
You can get a plastic 60g sterilite tote at Walmart for like $10

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Do you weigh them? Tell me again how old Saturn is? What make me you think they are clutch mates? I am ready to see pics ! Since the torts are already together, we will just all hope that everything is ok . I’m sure there is a master plan at work... [emoji6]Make sure that you are prepared to separate them pretty soon as necessary.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I agree with Todrick, definitely just buy the largest tub you can. It is extremely dangerous for them to be together right now.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I agree with Todrick, definitely just buy the largest tub you can. It is extremely dangerous for them to be together right now.
okay. well, the tubs at walmart are the width of a ten gallon tank. thats why im so hesitant to use those.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Do you weigh them? Tell me again how old Saturn is? What make me you think they are clutch mates? I am ready to see pics ! Since the torts are already together, we will just all hope that everything is ok . I’m sure there is a master plan at work... [emoji6]Make sure that you are prepared to separate them pretty soon as necessary.
Saturn is like, 3-4 weeks old again. And of COURSE! I will move them as soon as I can get all of the stuff my new guy needs.

I KNOW they are clutch mates because they both were found at around the same time.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
okay. well, the tubs at walmart are the width of a ten gallon tank. thats why im so hesitant to use those.

Really? At mine, they have giant 50 gallon ones. Have you checked the storage section? At all of the Walmart’s I’ve been to, it’s usually in the back of the store near the electronics.

Relic

Here
I got one of these Christmas Tree storage bins at Walmart (had to order it online, delivered to store) for less than $30:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/IRIS-Holiday-Tree-Storage-Tote-with-Compartment-Lid-Red/48037027

87227656-e49f-43c0-91b9-2b149535e5bb_1.1b3785b7d09927c22790130ae2130a73.jpeg

Plenty big for baby tortoise or two. (53" long, 21" wide, 14" high)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I got one of these Christmas Tree storage bins at Walmart (had to order it online, delivered to store) for less than $30:

Plenty big for baby tortoise or two. (53" long, 21" wide, 14" high)

I did the same! It’s been working very well for now. My temps are steady as well.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Sorry I haven't posted pictures. When I get home I do my homework and soak them but forget to take pictures. She is still yet to poop but we did have a little "accident" on my hand.. and face.. and arms... (she SQUIRTED me LOL) :oops::mad: