Any canadian breeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Does anyone know of any breeders that sell sulcata's in Canada?

Thanks in advance.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sulcata's get very very large and like to walk around a lot.

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
aktech23 said:

Tortoises are reptiles.

Ooh, sorry, I thought we were having a state the obvious contest.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
I guess some people just don't think that sulcatas make good pets when you live somehwere it is cold 9 months out of the year.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Peter Williams said:
aktech23 said:

Tortoises are reptiles.

Ooh, sorry, I thought we were having a state the obvious contest.

i'll state the obvious too.. sulcata may not be happy at your house.

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
tortelini said:
Obviously, Peter Williams wants a sulcata!

There are no sulcata breeders in Canada that I am aware of (thank goodness) but you can locate sulcata in some reptile stores. Big Als had some last year and PCPC sells them (I believe) occassionally and have seen a few for sale on the Reptiles Canada Classifieds section. I saw some for sale last year in the Toronto area, can't remember the name of the store but it was a new reptile store in Scarborough. But seriously, what the heck would you do with a sulcata in our winter?

Good luck in your quest.

JourneyTort

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
Now, I am new here, haven't read alot of threads, but are the rest of them full of arrogant jerks too? That may sound a little harsh, but honestly, what kind of website gives me a first reply of a blunt statement clearly hinting at the fact that I don't know what I'm doing and then the rest of you brush me off as some idiot for wanting a tortoise in canada. I have a very large, unused, empty greenhouse that just so happens to heat up to 90F+, even in the winter. So am I allowed to have a tortoise now?

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i said "may" and did hint. i didn't say it wouldn't be happy there, and in reality it may not be.

if you can spare your greenhouse that is great, but imvho consideration needs to be made. how many people do you think take one of these guys without considering the responsibility. it should be noted.

jerk, yeah i can be, and i don't care.. arrogant? absolutely not.

the animal really does need to be considered. personally, i don't have room for my own sulcata, and he has run of the back yard and grass to eat all year. it was 85F 30C today. the 10" guy is already moving my potted garden around trying to get the greens we are picking and eating today. my entire garden strategy has to be revamped.

I'm sure you can understand the concern.
it's going to be a 100+ lb, 50 KG animal with some serious determination and the ability to bulldoze anything not mounted to the floor.

my sulcata found me, someone dumped the thing in the street.

have you looked into rescuing one?

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
First, sorry about my smart response....just wanted to state the obvious like everyone else. :D

Since I hear that it is cold there 9mos out of the year. What are the other three like? How big is your greenhouse? How do you plan to give your tort outdoor exposure? Do you have heat back up plans? I'd be interested to know. We don't all have the perfect climates for our torts....I live in Oregon...rain rain rain lol but my torts are out all summer and whenever weather permits. I do see a big difference in their attitudes when they are outside. So very active and happy!! I too think Sulcata are amazing but I had to realize how much room they need, they love to dig, push fences over...little bulldozers!! :) In our current home, there just isn't that type of space in the backyard, or inside when the weather turns cold for that matter. Good Luck....

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Peter Williams said:
Now, I am new here, haven't read alot of threads, but are the rest of them full of arrogant jerks too?

When I first started looking into getting a tortoise I dealt with a snake guy and he told me 'Tortoise people are f**** nuts'. His words. Some are :) but they are just passionate about their animals as you probably are with snakes.

There are a lot of people that have come on this forum after getting a sulcata and they live in an apartment, etc. and really don't know what they have gotten into. So after a while people get a bit jaded when people post looking for breeders of sulcata.

When Sulcata get to be a bit bigger it's like having a horse in your house/greenhouse with the added bonus that they can burrow to China. Owning a Sulcata in Canada is not impossible but are you providing the best environment for this species by being in a greenhouse most of the year? I suppose if your greenhouse was large enough that it would get proper exercise but living down south in the sun would be a better environment for an African tortoise.

Just my 2 cents.

JourneyTort

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's something else for you to consider: I have a 100lb sulcata who has lived here with me since he weighed 35lbs. He has a very large yard that I have divided up into three pastures to rotate him through. He lives in a dog house type shed that is heated in the winter, and he comes and goes at will, even during the coldest days of winter. If Dudley wants to get into one of his pastures that is closed off he just ploughs through the fence and either breaks the boards or knocks them off the nails. He knows no boundaries. I close his door at night to keep vermin away from him, but if I don't open it early enough in the a.m. he breaks it down. This is a VERY strong animal with a mind of his own. I don't think there's a greenhouse alive that will hold him, without some serious fortification.

Yvonne

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi Peter,

What Area are you located in Canada? I know that there is breeder in BC that travels to the shows in Alberta. He has Salcutas, Hermanns and Russians.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I live in Calif and i have trouble keeping them warm enough some nights.. i would LOVE a greenhouse.. what type do you have? Can you post pics? If it would work for you in canada it would work here for sure! I'd love to see what you have in mind!

I just read your enclosure thread , and it doenst mention the green house aspect, but a hatchling would do ok in one if sectioned off so it doesnt get lost.. and you do mention that you are a 'noob' and want any or all ideas and about your idea...
I'd still ike to see your idea or hear more about it,, as i think its a good way to go if it could be built strong enough.

Peter Williams

5 Year Member
soundwave said:
Hi Peter,

What Area are you located in Canada? I know that there is breeder in BC that travels to the shows in Alberta. He has Salcutas, Hermanns and Russians.

I live in Ontario. Is it possible to ship a hatchling tortoise? Who is the breeder?

Laura said:
I live in Calif and i have trouble keeping them warm enough some nights.. i would LOVE a greenhouse.. what type do you have? Can you post pics? If it would work for you in canada it would work here for sure! I'd love to see what you have in mind!

I just read your enclosure thread , and it doenst mention the green house aspect, but a hatchling would do ok in one if sectioned off so it doesnt get lost.. and you do mention that you are a 'noob' and want any or all ideas and about your idea...
I'd still ike to see your idea or hear more about it,, as i think its a good way to go if it could be built strong enough.

I don't know why everyone is so intrigued in my greenhouse idea. I am a noob, but as far as I've read, my hatchling tortoise is not going to need to move outside for at least a few years. Trust me, in the snake keeping world I've seen my share of inexperienced keepers that get a burmese python or reticulated python and not have the facilities to keep it when it gets 20+ feet long. I am certainly not going to make this mistake. That's why I will continue to ask questions!

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Peter Williams said:
I live in Ontario. Is it possible to ship a hatchling tortoise? Who is the breeder?

I have had torts shipped from BC to Ontario no problem. Just need plus temps our end.

JourneyTort

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
To add to JourneyTorts post; If shipping a tort you will want to make sure if there are any overnight stops, what the temps are there also. Wouldn't want to freeze or bake one anywhere along the way.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi..How is your greenhouse built? Does it have cement footings & cement short walls? Are the walls & roof fiberglass? How hot does it get inside in the summer? What do you use to heat it in winter? How big is it? Is the floor dirt?
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.