Anyone's Hermann's like St.Augustine grass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Just discovered yesterday that Jennifer and Ptolemy love the stuff, so it'll be added to their menu at least once a week this summer and when they come in for winter, I'm going to plant a bunch in their enclosures, so that it'll be getting rooted in for next year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish I had some hermans... :(

Hopefully soon.:)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Cathy L said:
Can you post a picture? I don't know what it looks like.

turf+--StAugustine+2.jpg

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I hear its real good for fiber. I wish I had some, but its a southern grass, not found in NY.

bcurtis

5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca
My Dalmatians and boettgeri eat it down to the roots. I have to keep it in flats and rotate it in as it regrows. My westerns do not seem to bother it much.
Bill

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
GBtortoises said:
I'd try it if it grew here! I've never seen any of my Hermann's eat any type of grass. The only Testudo that I have that do occasionally are Marginateds.

Of my four, only Jennifer and Ptolemy are really excited about grass...Ophelia eats eat a little, but likes weeds, cactus pads and The Red Stuff better, and Apollonia seems pretty indifferent to grass, in general...Jennifer and Ptolemy are chowhounds on everything!

bcurtis said:
My Dalmatians and boettgeri eat it down to the roots. I have to keep it in flats and rotate it in as it regrows. My westerns do not seem to bother it much.
Bill

That's what I'm now doing...I have 3 flats and I rotate each 2 days "in", a week "out".

bcurtis

5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca
My marginateds, russians and graeca do not seem to bother it at all. But the 2 species of eastern hermans just devour it. I have seen them turn their nose up at other grasses, but I can't even keep this growing in their enclosures without rotating it.
Bill

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Hmm, maybe St. Augustine grass is lower in silica than other grasses, which might make it more appealing than other grasses? Just a though.

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
bcurtis said:
Bill

Where do you get the seeds?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
tortoises101 said:
Hmm, maybe St. Augustine grass is lower in silica than other grasses, which might make it more appealing than other grasses? Just a though.

Maybe...

Cathy L said:
Where do you get the seeds?

I buy it in 1' squares, from a garden shop or a landscaping company.

Status
Not open for further replies.