Appropriate Objects For Climbing

Momof3

My 5 month old baby Hermann's has recently expressed a great interest in climbing. I know they tend to be climbers and I am curious if anyone has some interesting/creative ideas on what I can place inside his enclosure to make it more exciting for him, but that also keeps his safety in mind. Currently I have a half log, some large, rounded pebbles, a slate tile on which I feed him on, and, a little log-like bridge that I keep relatively flat so that he doesn't flip off, (I've included a picture of this).

I'm looking forward to some suggestions! 31RKfCMok5L.jpg

AnimalLady

I have a Half log thing, similar to what you have there, but its solid.

I pretty much completely covered it with soil and now grass is starting to grow up top. my guy loves to climb to the top and just sit there. I also got this http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/097612210224C.jpg and propped it on one of the openings of the log, he likes climbing that too.

I'm interested to see what the others have to say too...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I don't put anything in to encourage climbing too dangerous in my honest opinion.

AnimalLady

I don't put anything in to encourage climbing too dangerous in my honest opinion.
Yea? Hmm. I didn't put my stuff on there for climbing, I did it so his hide would be more realistic like, and the other side was to kinda close one side off.. but he climbs it, normally in the morning, its like his basking spot. Now I'm nervous.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yea? Hmm. I didn't put my stuff on there for climbing, I did it so his hide would be more realistic like, and the other side was to kinda close one side off.. but he climbs it, normally in the morning, its like his basking spot. Now I'm nervous.
if they are going to climb they're going to climb you can't stop them if they want to I just don't put anything in there to encourage them to do so but if they're going to climb they're going to climb you can't stop them.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
In my silly little mind, a tortoise climbs because they are bored or they are trying to leave their plain, boring prison cells... They can't actually tell me if that's why they climb and I don't speak tort....So it's just my opinion based on my observations.

When my tortoises were in nicely set up enclosures, I never experienced these crazy climbing behaviors.
My goal has always been to make their prison cell look like a little patch of nature. The more realistic the better. This means lots of various terrains, plants and more plants.

I saw the torts actively exploring their well planted habitats vs climbing a fake log over and over and over.

Even now, my only remaining tort who has an entire backyard with lots to explore doesn't behave that way.

I would suggest an indoor enclosure makeover and see if the new digs create new habits.

Momof3

In my silly little mind, a tortoise climbs because they are bored or they are trying to leave their plain, boring prison cells... They can't actually tell me if that's why they climb and I don't speak tort....So it's just my opinion based on my observations.

When my tortoises were in nicely set up enclosures, I never experienced these crazy climbing behaviors.
My goal has always been to make their prison cell look like a little patch of nature. The more realistic the better. This means lots of various terrains, plants and more plants.

I saw the torts actively exploring their well planted habitats vs climbing a fake log over and over and over.

Even now, my only remaining tort who has an entire backyard with lots to explore doesn't behave that way.

I would suggest an indoor enclosure makeover and see if the new digs create new habits.

Thanks for the input, but, TBH, I actually spent a lot of time ensuring I had a really nice enclosure for my little one before I even brought him home. His space is large and beautiful, I assure you, as I am meticulous with detail. Lots of breaks in sight lines, pretty plants, plenty of space to roam about. He's very active and acts perfectly "content." He's not exhibiting "crazy climbing behaviours" just what looks to be a natural curiosity of his surroundings now that he's a little older. His space looks very realistic and he certainly never, (at least not at this point) is found to be climbing his log "over, and over, and over." He just appears to genuinely enjoy exploring and clambering over all the various items I have set up in his enclosure. I was just curious as to what other items people were using in their set-ups that I may not have thought of to put in there or replace over the years that also wouldn't put him at risk or scratch up his plastron, etc...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have a Half log thing, similar to what you have there, but its solid.

I pretty much completely covered it with soil and now grass is starting to grow up top. my guy loves to climb to the top and just sit there. I also got this http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/097612210224C.jpg and propped it on one of the openings of the log, he likes climbing that too.

I'm interested to see what the others have to say too...
I too would like to see what people put in their torts' enclosures; as I'm having a new enclosure done for OLI, and don't have much imagination.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That climbing could be :( dangerous. Take care!:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

You could read the different threads on "Enclosures," and hopefully pictures available will help you.

Good luck!;)

AnimalLady

That climbing could be :( dangerous. Take care!:)

I made the other side of the log straight, its no longer at a slope so he cant climb that part. Whats left now is the log that's under the mound of dirt. This is staying, its pretty natural and I'm sure he would have encountered something like this in the wild...

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I made the other side of the log straight, its no longer at a slope so he cant climb that part. Whats left now is the log that's under the mound of dirt. This is staying, its pretty natural and I'm sure he would have encountered something like this in the wild...
Would love to see what you've done. Could you post a pic of the enclosure please?