Are aquarium plants good for turtles?

Rubyfryk

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
This might be a really obvious question lol, because it seems like obviously there has to be some sort of nutrients in aquatic plants. My turtle is eating the plants like crazy, and I love it. I’m considering getting a whole separate aquarium just to grow plants in so I can put them in his tank so he’ll have the plants to eat. My question though is, are these plants providing the same types of vitamins that me feeding him his regular greens and veggies would be? Like is the health benefit there or is it just a sort of snack?

Attachments

• IMG_4764.png
    IMG_4764.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In the wild they would not get grocery greens etc. They would be feeding on the plants in the water they were loving, along with any fish, crustacean and bugs they could find
So as long as they are aquarium/turtle safe plants, they are fine for him to eat.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This might be a really obvious question lol, because it seems like obviously there has to be some sort of nutrients in aquatic plants. My turtle is eating the plants like crazy, and I love it. I’m considering getting a whole separate aquarium just to grow plants in so I can put them in his tank so he’ll have the plants to eat. My question though is, are these plants providing the same types of vitamins that me feeding him his regular greens and veggies would be? Like is the health benefit there or is it just a sort of snack?
Yes, there is good nutritional value in those aquatic plants. And,,, cooters are the most vegetarian of the turtles! Young cooters are omnivores so like more protein for good growth along with plants, but adults cooters can be almost exclusively vegetarian by preference,

Your biggest issue will be the mess it makes in a tank with a cooter eating aquatic plants. Way too messy to keep up with. I use a good koi pellet for food ASAP with cooters.

Rubyfryk

South Carolina
In the wild they would not get grocery greens etc. They would be feeding on the plants in the water they were loving, along with any fish, crustacean and bugs they could find
So as long as they are aquarium/turtle safe plants, they are fine for him to eat.
Thank you!

Rubyfryk

South Carolina
Yes, there is good nutritional value in those aquatic plants. And,,, cooters are the most vegetarian of the turtles! Young cooters are omnivores so like more protein for good growth along with plants, but adults cooters can be almost exclusively vegetarian by preference,

Your biggest issue will be the mess it makes in a tank with a cooter eating aquatic plants. Way too messy to keep up with. I use a good koi pellet for food ASAP with cooters.
Thank you!!