Baby box turtle tail not improving

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
Every morning I have been soaking her and applying neosporin in a separate container. Today I looked at her tail and it looks like its getting worse. It looks like its a little swollen and I see a little red...what do you guys think is going on?

Wow....I'm feeding her a worm now, and it looks like the part of the tail distal to the injury is going to come off.

Attachments

• image-3127478393.png
    image-3127478393.png
    819.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image-3164051839.png
    image-3164051839.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 56

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its just like when you girdle a tree. Once you've disrupted the blood flow from the body to the tip of the tail, the end piece has to die. It will fall off and there won't be any problems. Happens all the time.

In fact, just to put it into perspective, when a farmer wants to make a bull calf into a steer, he applies a tight little rubber band around the sac above the testicles. The reduced blood flow kills the bottom section and eventually the testicles and excess sac fall off.

So, losing a little bit of tail isn't such a big deal. :p

(ouch)

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
Ick, I heard about that, the only difference was that it was a dog. I got nauseous when I saw her tail before, poor little one. It doesn't seem like she cares though, she was running around chasing worms and strawberries.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
:(

You seem to be doing a great job to try to save the tail...hopefully its just new growth...does the tip of the tail look like its lost blood flow?..is it drier and seem stiff like its dead?..if so then it will fall off...otherwise let nature takes it course. Sorry about your little one!

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
jojodesca said:
:(

You seem to be doing a great job to try to save the tail...hopefully its just new growth...does the tip of the tail look like its lost blood flow?..is it drier and seem stiff like its dead?..if so then it will fall off...otherwise let nature takes it course. Sorry about your little one!

Thanks, it actually looks fine, but what makes me think that it'll fall off is that it can bend all the way back (ick, bad image in my head now).

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Thanks, it actually looks fine, but what makes me think that it'll fall off is that it can bend all the way back (ick, bad image in my head now).
[/quote]

eek....another thought that crossed my mind...my ttbt can close all the way up into their shells...i think ALL boxies can...and they can close tight from predators...I am wondering if yours did...and didn't get the tail in all the way and pinched it..(get what i mean)....

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
jojodesca said:

eek....another thought that crossed my mind...my ttbt can close all the way up into their shells...i think ALL boxies can...and they can close tight from predators...I am wondering if yours did...and didn't get the tail in all the way and pinched it..(get what i mean)....
[/quote]

If that's what happened, then that's a good explanation because I have no idea what caused it. Baby boxies can close up? (she's about 4-5 months old)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
that seems a bit too young for her hinge to start working, but i suppose it is possible

as emysemys says once it loses blood flow the end will fall off and it should be fine, as far as the story about making potential bulls into steers.... ive banded a few and ill tell ya im glad i aint no steer that for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.