Baby boxie aggression while eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi!

My four baby boxies are nearing a year in age, but just recently I've started having trouble with Barnum, my largest. Though he was the 3rd to hatch, Barnum is now twice as large as the other three, and they all eat about the same amount of food.

Today I tossed in a few worms (I usually chop them up and feed them on a board outside their cage, but I was feeling lazy :p) One of the smaller turtles stole the largest worm from Barnum, and in retaliation Barnum charged and ending up biting the turtle on the head. Not sure if he was going for the turtle or the worm, but he got the turtle.

Since the worms were tiny compared to the normal amount I give them, I decided to make a little trough of Mazuri, which they're starting to eat along with fruit. There was plenty of food for everyone, but as they were eating, I saw Barnum stick his head up, look around at the turtle next to him, and lunge at his head, biting him and holding on for a few seconds. I've occasionally had this problem with the adult males, but never over food.

Barnum is otherwise fine and I've never seen him so aggressive. Has anyone else had this problem?

Here's a pic: Maebe is on the left, Barnum on the right.

photo.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
There is often aggression during feeding time among all species, a bigger space or separate feedings would most likely solve the problem.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
That's what I assumed, but I've always kept them seperated while eating so I've never had a problem before. Thanks for confirming!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, I see that with my little ones and I have to feed them separate some times...

M

Maggie Cummings

He's bigger than the rest of them because he's a bully!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Yup he's a bully, id seperate them and each feeding or maybe just pull him out until every one else is done. Aggression with feeding is more common then you'd think.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Actually, 99% of the time I chop up a worm and give them all equal parts and supervise, so there's no way he's bullying the others out of food. Since he hatched he's been the biggest, and he's just gotten bigger!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Please don't take this the wrong way, but when you have one that is twice as big as the others, someone is eating more food.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I know exactly how much each of my turtles eat, and yes, Barnum does eat more, but it's never been at the expense of the other turtles. I've fed them all nearly by hand for 9 months now. Barnum has a healthier appetite than the others, but they're all given equal amounts. Barnum also always ate his fill during the cold months while the others exhibited signs of a winter cool down and maybe ate half, if any.

So, is Barnum a chubster? Definitely. But today was the first time I've ever seen bullying because it's the first time I've ever fed them without direct supervision.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Why do you chop the worms up? My baby boxies are only about 6months and they always eat live worms. I love to watch such tiny creatures go after a big earth worm or meal worm. Their favorite is the wax worms though. So, so cute :)

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
I tried feeding them worms when they were hatchling and they couldn't even bite through their skins without gnawing at them for a half hour, so I just started chopping them up and I've just kept doing it ever since. They chomp down every bit.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
It wouldn't hurt to try whole worms,and see how they do, I don't think it will cut down on the aggression,.

Status
Not open for further replies.