Baby Desert Tortoise Feeding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Nevada
Hi I have just became the custodian of a Mojave Desert Tortoise. I live in Southern Nevada :cool: . He has been eating very well. I take him inside at night time because it is way too cold outside at night. Its 46 feels like 41. So he comes inside (keep in mind he is only 6 months old born september 1st, 2012. :tort: So I feed him dandelions but since its so cold I'm having a hard time finding enough. Today was his first time for a 10 days going outside because of cold weather. He would occasionally go outside for 2 hours and thats when he would eat. My question is I planted Marigolds, and some pansy flowers. ( The tortoise group told me to http://www.tortoisegroup.org/infosheets/infosheet21.php ) anyways he seems to not want anything to do with the flowers. Should i feed him supplements. He has eaten every day since i got him, today is his first day not feeding him supplements and this is the first day in his new habitat (moved over to my house from the neighbors) Do I still need to feed him or will he eventually eat the flowers? Thanks :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort:

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Even if he starts eating the flowers, it is recommended to feed him a variety of weeds, dark leafy greens, grasses, etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Custodian? Come on man, it's your tortoise.

They need a wide variety of foods and they need to eat every day. There are a wide variety of weeds you can feed. Mallow, sow thistle, filaree, hawkbit, wild onion, wild mustard, etc... Also mulberry tree leaves, grape leaves and hibiscus leaves are great too. Spineless opuntia cactus pads can be grown or bought at Mexican grocery stores like Vallarta or Tres Sierras. You can also use spring mix, endive and lots of other grocery store greens if you are coming up short on the natural foods. Some fresh, chemical free grass shoots would be good in the mix too.

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
lol thats what i say but I see a lot of people on here saying Custodian so I'm like well crap better say custodian :D :tort: :tort: :tort: :tort:
Tom said:
Custodian? Come on man, it's your tortoise.

They need a wide variety of foods and they need to eat every day. There are a wide variety of weeds you can feed. Mallow, sow thistle, filaree, hawkbit, wild onion, wild mustard, etc... Also mulberry tree leaves, grape leaves and hibiscus leaves are great too. Spineless opuntia cactus pads can be grown or bought at Mexican grocery stores like Vallarta or Tres Sierras. You can also use spring mix, endive and lots of other grocery store greens if you are coming up short on the natural foods. Some fresh, chemical free grass shoots would be good in the mix too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can call it whatever you like here on this forum. :D

Did the food tips help?

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
Baby Desert Tortoise Not Eating

My baby 6 month old desert tortoise just came over to my house 10 days ago. :tort: My neighbor gave him to me he was on a romaine/dandelion diet. I know you aren't supposed to feed them romaine but i feed it to him little with dandelion. Well i stopped feeding to him the romaine and he was eating ALOT ALOT ALOT of dandelion and before that he was eating both. But today and yesterday he seems to just not want to eat. I just put him in his outside pen for the first time since i got him because it was under construction. He was inside in a 20 gallon tank with calcium sand and a big water bowl, a fake plant, and a hiding spot. Today is his second day of living outside. (He still comes inside at night) Please help. It it just because he was eating a lot before?

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
Well it helped me, :cool: but he has not ate at all yesterday and today. I think it might be because he just moved outside in a new habitat because i build one. (He lived outside at my neighbors house)
Tom said:

Did the food tips help?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Baby Desert Tortoise Not Eating

The number one cause of a baby tortoise not eating is that he isn't warm enough. Think about it for a minute...your body is almost 100F degrees for you to digest food. So a baby tortoise, who has a very small volume, must be able to get upwards of 80F degrees in order for him to digest his food. Warmer would even be better. So if your weather isn't in the 80's outside, I'd say the baby isn't warm enough.

Tom said:

I know its semantics, however just so everyone is on the same page...Here in California, the desert tortoises don't belong to us, or individuals, they belong to the State of California. You have permission, or a permit, to take care of it. It might be the same way in Nevada.

Having said that. I still call the desert tortoises who live here "MY TORTOISES." I have Mi-shell, an over 70 year old desert tortoise that has been in my possession for almost 40 years. I'd really hate to think she isn't "MINE."

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
RE: Baby Desert Tortoise Not Eating

Yeah I'll try to put him right in the line of the sun a d keep him warm when he eats. And yes it is the same in Nevada, you adopt if from the state. But it is still concidered wild life. Although my neighbors tortoise had baby's so I got one from them and just payed the $20 online for adoption. Thanks for your feeding help! :D
emysemys said:
The number one cause of a baby tortoise not eating is that he isn't warm enough. Think about it for a minute...your body is almost 100F degrees for you to digest food. So a baby tortoise, who has a very small volume, must be able to get upwards of 80F degrees in order for him to digest his food. Warmer would even be better. So if your weather isn't in the 80's outside, I'd say the baby isn't warm enough.

Tom said:

I know its semantics, however just so everyone is on the same page...Here in California, the desert tortoises don't belong to us, or individuals, they belong to the State of California. You have permission, or a permit, to take care of it. It might be the same way in Nevada.

Having said that. I still call the desert tortoises who live here "MY TORTOISES." I have Mi-shell, an over 70 year old desert tortoise that has been in my possession for almost 40 years. I'd really hate to think she isn't "MINE."

Status
Not open for further replies.