Baby Hermann's Tortoise wont eat! :(

sincerelysam15

Hello Everybody!
I have a baby Hermann's tortoise named Charlie and he has not eaten anything in about a week :( No matter what I try to give him. I have tried Mazuri Tortoise diet, hibiscus plant leaves and the leafy tops of strawberries and he wont eat any of it! If you can think of any other foods I can try or a reason he may not be eating please let me know. I am very worried about my baby Charlie!

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
How long have you had him can you post some of your enclosure pics as well also have you changed your enclosure in any way also so him to see if that kick starts his appetite I know it does for mine

sincerelysam15

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438570651.136020.jpg

I have only had him for about 3 weeks. He is only about 1.5 inches big and is in a 20 gallon long tank until I move in a month. He had his basking light and the uvb strip bulb. In his enclosure I have a water dish, food dish and hiding spot. Currently he is burring himself. I give him a new leaf of something every day and he never takes any bites out of it.

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
You s
Yes. I soak him 4 days a week for about 20 minutes
you should soaked the tortoise everyday for 15-20mins, what temperatures have you got in your enclosure? Also I use Italian salad sometimes for food, but mainly weeds, will he eat from your hand?

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
You s

you should soaked the tortoise everyday for 15-20mins, what temperatures have you got in your enclosure? Also I use Italian salad sometimes for food, but mainly weeds, will he eat from your hand?
To add to that what is your basking area tempature (right underneath the heat lamp)

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
To add to that what is your basking area tempature (right underneath the heat lamp)
Also do you have a calcium supplement to add to the food? I would seriously consider a little trip to the vet if not eaten for a week, try cutting the food up into small pieces and I use a little cucumber when mine are off there food.

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Also do you have a calcium supplement to add to the food? I would seriously consider a little trip to the vet if not eaten for a week, try cutting the food up into small pieces and I use a little cucumber when mine are off there food.
Calcium supplements on the food would discourage the tortoise to eat just add cuttlefish bone instead also tortoises are tough you should take your tort to the vet after a month of no food

David Harmon

5 Year Member
Liverpool
Calcium supplements on the food would discourage the tortoise to eat just add cuttlefish bone instead also tortoises are tough you should take your tort to the vet after a month of no food
Mine always eat with calcium added to the food twice a week, my babies are 12 weeks old up to 7 years old. But I would try to mix the food with different variances

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Mine always eat with calcium added to the food twice a week, my babies are 12 weeks old up to 7 years old. But I would try to mix the food with different variances
Yah but they have grown accustomed to the taste some tortoises do not enjoy it plus they may overdose

sincerelysam15

Oh okay. I read somewhere on here that is should only be about 4 times a week. The temperature right under the basking lamp is 95 degrees according to my thermometer. I have a cuttlebone in there for him but he has never used it. I have never tried feeding him from my hand but I have tried cutting the food into much smaller pieces. From what I can tell he didn't eat any but it is harder to tell.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Please keep in mind that torts request A LOT OF TIME to adapt to: new environment, new enclosure, new 'home', new owner, and the rest. But visiting a vet would be a good idea anyway.

Good luck.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
A tortoise that is too hot won't eat. A tortoise that is too cold won't eat. Temps matter.

What kind if bulb are you using? How long is it on?

Also add some water to the substrate.

MelissaNicole

Eastern Pennsylvania
20150803_110653.jpg Definitely try warm soaks daily... also, just a thought, with how small you said your little guy is are you sure he get get into the food dish you've provided? I find it easier for my babies to eat off of a flat piece of slate rock for example. Completely level with the substrate. No lip to climb over or into or out of..

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Usually 3 or four soaks a week would be fine, but I'd try daily now, until things are back to normal.
You can mix baby carrot or pumpkin food into the soak water and then when he drinks he will be taking in some nutrients.

BillieTurtle

Hello, maybe his past owners really didnt know how to treat him because of the look of it your not doing anything wrong. I suggest you take him the the vet, you know, just in case.

Toffi

I think you could try to blend up his food with soaked Mazuri Tortoise Diet. That's what I started doing when my baby tortoise wouldn't eat. Now he grew out of blended food and he eats whole food. I still give him blended food though just so he has options. Maybe it'll work for your baby. But even if it does work, I would suggest you take him/ her to the vet just to make sure everything is okay.