Baby Russian Tortoise Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I got a small russian earlier this week. I have his heating and it gets about 91-95 during the day and 75-85on the cool side. During the night it drops to about 60-63. Do I need to get a night time heat lamp and bulb? He's only 3 1/2 months old and with the winter months coming I want to keep him warm.
Thanks

Attachments

• image-1205069980.png
    image-1205069980.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 65

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Some may say yes, some may say no. I say, however, go ahead and invest in a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), or infrared bulb.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
blafiriravt said:
Some may say yes, some may say no. I say, however, go ahead and invest in a CHE (ceramic heat emitter), or infrared bulb.

What is the temp the CHE bulbs get or should be?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If the nighttime temps don't get below 50, you shouldn't need a night-time heat emitter. Also, be careful that the cool side is closer to 70, so the little guy can get away from the heat when he needs to. Don't want to cook the little fella...

T Smart said:
I got a small russian earlier this week. I have his heating and it gets about 91-95 during the day and 75-85on the cool side. During the night it drops to about 60-63. Do I need to get a night time heat lamp and bulb? He's only 3 1/2 months old and with the winter months coming I want to keep him warm.
Thanks

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
It is good for Russians to cool off a bit at night. It helps their digestion. Nighttime temps around 60 are perfect for them. If you get into the 50s or below they will be stimulated to brumate.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
kanalomele said:
It is good for Russians to cool off a bit at night. It helps their digestion. Nighttime temps around 60 are perfect for them. If you get into the 50s or below they will be stimulated to brumate.

I agree

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
kanalomele said:

curious, if your house is in the 70's at night and your russian is kept indoors at night, would one want to find a way to lower the temp to 60?? or would you just leave the temp "as is"??

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
That's fine, no need to cool your torts. 70s is ok. Just not below 50 or not giving them the option to get below 80. :)

Team Gomberg said:
kanalomele said:

curious, if your house is in the 70's at night and your russian is kept indoors at night, would one want to find a way to lower the temp to 60?? or would you just leave the temp "as is"??

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I just keep one CHE going, in place of the basking bulb, same spot. Keeps a warm spot of 80-95 and a relative temp of 73. This is specifically for my Hermann's. I use a 100W CHE in all my enclosures for nighttime warmth. They work awesome IMO.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Russians and Hermanns for that matter do not need night time heat. As long as your house is above 50*F at night, (which I'm sure it is), don't warm them up at night. Keeping them too warm and not letting them cool off often leads to accelerated growth and shell deformities, I'm sure there are other reasons, I just can't remember right now what Gary told me :p. If you have any questions about it pm GBtortoises, he has a lot of experience with the Mediterranean tortoises.

If your house is in the 70's at night, thats one warm house! I'm from NY though, lol. Theres only so much you can do to cool off an inside enclosure I guess, if its not your heat keeping the house that warm. Maybe a little air conditioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.