baby snapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Hey everyone! I seem to have got a baby snapper in my koi pond this summer! Don't see any others, never had. I have no clue where he came from but he's a cutie! Probably 3 inches now. Anyways what should I do for winter for him? He's eating good, I put feeder guppies in there and I had a few goldfish that laid eggs. I have personally fed him worms and seen him eat them, lots of algae on the sides for him to eat and any extra koi food! I love in the north east so my pond will freeze except for the waterfall area that I keep going to keep it from freezing solid. The pond is a rubber liner and it's about 10x18 with the deepest part being 5' deep. Sorry for the rant, but should he be ok over winter in there? Thanks!!

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I had two pet baby snapping turtles. They're great! One let me rub its neck n everything. Watch out though, they have an attitude when they start getting bigger.. They are one of those, rather be left alone pets... Anyways, yeah, they should be fine for the winter, because snapping turtles are used to really cold water because most of the time they stay on the bottom.. They expect the water to be cold during the winter.. If you're really worried about it, you could possibly get a heater for the pond or just break the ice & put hot water or something? Idk.. My snappers were inside.. I had to make the water colder in the winter time.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
It won't freeze solid. He should be able to just stay in there. Make sure he gets plenty of koi food in preparation for winter.

Rjhoop

5 Year Member
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
So he doesn't need to bury himself at all? I have some leaf liter in the bottom but not much. You think that's fine? And I know it won't freeze solid! :)

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
They might prefer to bury in the mud, but I have seen adults through the ice in mid winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.