baby western Hermann's tortoise not eating

alfredusprimus

Location (City and/or State)
peterborough
Hi guys so I have recently adopted a western hermann's tortoise but I am having a problem with getting her to eat I have been giving her all the types of food that she should be having but she is refusing to eat anything so when I got her they weren't very helpful with what they were feeding her and the only things that they told us were the pellet which I got her but now it is the only thing that she is eating and I cannot get her to eat anything else she goes through her food looking for the pellets and today I put on on some of her food but she ate round the plant to eat the pellet and after weighing she has lost weight and I am getting extremely concerned. so is there anything that I can do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys so I have recently adopted a western hermann's tortoise but I am having a problem with getting her to eat I have been giving her all the types of food that she should be having but she is refusing to eat anything so when I got her they weren't very helpful with what they were feeding her and the only things that they told us were the pellet which I got her but now it is the only thing that she is eating and I cannot get her to eat anything else she goes through her food looking for the pellets and today I put on on some of her food but she ate round the plant to eat the pellet and after weighing she has lost weight and I am getting extremely concerned. so is there anything that I can do.
Any new food will need to be gradually introduce by mincing a very tiny amount of it into tiny tiny pieces and mix that with the old favorite. Gradually introduce more and more of the new food over weeks or months.

The tortoise isn't going to eat if the temperatures and lighting are not correct. Read this, and look for the Temperate species care sheet and heating/lighting breakdown near the bottom. Be sure everything is right, and be ready to discard old wrong info that you have found or were given:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi there. Try to follow all the advice that Tom gave you. What exactly are the "pellets" that you are now giving him?

cbotta3000

Decatur
Because I am in the process of adopting, I am interested in knowing who "they weren't very helpful" is/are? I surely would not want to deal with such an organization. Be good and help the community!!!