Baby's First Outdoor Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
So we've had our little guy for about 3 weeks now, and we finally had time to make an outdoor enclose for him. It took 45 minutes to make...we actually spent more time running around HomeDepot for the pieces I think. This is Pistachio's first time outside with us, and since he was captive bred, I doubt he spent much time outside before we got him.

He was very very confused at first, but now he absolutely loves the natural sunlight and dirt and loves munching on everything :)

Attachments

• Photo236.jpg
    Photo236.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo237.jpg
    Photo237.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 60

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Nice enclosure-not sure if there is mesh on the base but watch for where you place the pen for uneven surface where there may be gaps for the baby to squeeze under.
My yard is too bumpy to trust my 3mth baby out on the grass yet-need to wait until they are a bit bigger as my enclosures are moveable without floors so they can graze.
Currently having to use a cat litter tray with mesh over the top so they are secure.

Cute baby and nice name too.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Very nice portable enclosure, my only suggestion is a little bigger area for shade, I am sure your little one is enjoying the sun...

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Tortoise said:
Nice enclosure-not sure if there is mesh on the base but watch for where you place the pen for uneven surface where there may be gaps for the baby to squeeze under.
My yard is too bumpy to trust my 3mth baby out on the grass yet-need to wait until they are a bit bigger as my enclosures are moveable without floors so they can graze.
Currently having to use a cat litter tray with mesh over the top so they are secure.

Cute baby and nice name too.

Yeah, I was a little worried about that too. I added stakes after the photo was taken, to keep it flush against the ground. I heard that Hermann's like to dig, so I think I may push that black garden edging into the ground around it to prevent any escapes via underground tunnels! (Or maybe he's too young to worry about that?) You could also maybe try the black edging to cover up any gaps made by bumps.

And not to worry Dalano73, I'll be putting a little hide box in there with him for shade. Glad you all like it!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Yikes that is a lot of bees you have-I am terrified of them and wasps etc.Fascinating though (on the TV:rolleyes:)

Not sure about the Hermanns and digging(I had an adult and he didn't but I guess they are capable)-just seen all my torts try to fit through small spaces on occasions. I want to put my babies on the grass too but need a very short mowing and heavier enclosure perhaps so that it sits heavy.
Maybe a wooden lip around the edges would work?
It is nice for them to be bale to graze isn't it.

(How much does your little one weigh? Just interested as mine are one month younger and it is nice to see what others would weigh too at similar age.Mine are 19, and 20 grammes.)

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Tortoise said:
Yikes that is a lot of bees you have-I am terrified of them and wasps etc.Fascinating though (on the TV:rolleyes:)

Not sure about the Hermanns and digging(I had an adult and he didn't but I guess they are capable)-just seen all my torts try to fit through small spaces on occasions. I want to put my babies on the grass too but need a very short mowing and heavier enclosure perhaps so that it sits heavy.

(How much does your little one weigh? Just interested as mine are one month younger and it is nice to see what others would weigh too at similar age.Mine are 19, and 20 grammes.)

Haha, be afriad of the wasps, but not the honeybees! Prior to starting beekeeping this year I was afriad of all bees, but I've come to be very fond of the very docile honeybee!

You should definitely try and make a simple enclose if you can! Either using hefty materials or staking it into the ground should eliminate any escape holes =P I actually don't know how much my little guy weighs. I ordered a little scale from amazon for that purpose, and it should be here any day, so I'll let you know when I know! The 4 months is a guess, he could be a little older as I do not know his exact birthday.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Pokeymeg said:
Tortoise said:

Haha, be afriad of the wasps, but not the honeybees! Prior to starting beekeeping this year I was afriad of all bees, but I've come to be very fond of the very docile honeybee!

You should definitely try and make a simple enclose if you can! Either using hefty materials or staking it into the ground should eliminate any escape holes =P I actually don't know how much my little guy weighs. I ordered a little scale from amazon for that purpose, and it should be here any day, so I'll let you know when I know! The 4 months is a guess, he could be a little older as I do not know his exact birthday.
HI
We will build a tort pen for the babies but for now I have a plastic cat litter tray or rubber maid box with peat in it. I moisten it and add fresh greens and water and a couple of rocks then lay over some mesh for protection from the top.
One of my babies always digs itself way down in the soil though-scared me a few times now as he goes down deep. Maybe to cool off-not sure as they are not out more than 2 hours and part of the tub is in sun and part shade too.
I see the benefit of a floor-less enclosure though then they can really graze for themselves-just worried they might slip out though-I lost an adult Hermanns once and it still saddens me years later.We had a huge search party but didn't find him-he was found next Spring but too late as our winters are so harsh-(-40's etc) He had walked a straight line North for 6 miles!We did bury him and it was one of the saddest days I ever remember.

Bees wasps-maybe I need to meet some bees but adrenaline shoots through me when I hear a buzz-had a phobia for a long time.
There are bee farms around but I tend to stay away!:D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Tortoise said:
Pokeymeg said:
Tortoise said:

HI
We will build a tort pen for the babies but for now I have a plastic cat litter tray or rubber maid box with peat in it. I moisten it and add fresh greens and water and a couple of rocks then lay over some mesh for protection from the top.
One of my babies always digs itself way down in the soil though-scared me a few times now as he goes down deep. Maybe to cool off-not sure as they are not out more than 2 hours and part of the tub is in sun and part shade too.
I see the benefit of a floor-less enclosure though then they can really graze for themselves-just worried they might slip out though-I lost an adult Hermanns once and it still saddens me years later.We had a huge search party but didn't find him-he was found next Spring but too late as our winters are so harsh-(-40's etc) He had walked a straight line North for 6 miles!We did bury him and it was one of the saddest days I ever remember.

Bees wasps-maybe I need to meet some bees but adrenaline shoots through me when I hear a buzz-had a phobia for a long time.
There are bee farms around but I tend to stay away!:D

I think perhaps my tort is older than I thought! He weighs in at 33 grams! He measures 5.5cm, so he's a healthy weight, but I don't think he is 4 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.