Babysitting Boris

Xraiderfan

Hi all. I'm babysitting a new and different Boris. My daughter's Boris is a Russian Tortoise. She's off traveling and left Boris with us.

A few questions. First, he will ALWAYS eat if there's food. How often should he eat, and how much?

Second, we have an indoor enclosure and an outdoor enclosure for him and I move him back and forth every day. One of the "how to's" says we shouldn't handle him. He seems unharmed by it.

Thoughts? And thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
Torts are grazers they eat when ever they want .
Torts are at the bottom of the food chain . So at first they think you want to eat them ! But so you become the food God and then they look for food every time you come buy and then all they want to do is keep you happy so the food keeps coming !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468110882.270644.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Boris is evidently not affected by moving indoors and outdoors. It's perfectly fine what you're doing. I think the not handling rule refers to kids using the tortoise as a friction toy...stuff like that.

In their native habitat, the 'good' weather is a very short season. Because of this, Russian tortoises are hard-wired to eat as much as they can find in a very short time. As long as your tortoise is getting enough exercise, he can't overeat.