Bamboo as mulch?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a ton of bamboo branches that were just cut down. Can I use the dried leaves as mulch in the redfoot enclosure?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405185947.638238.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405185974.890798.jpg

zaroba

I would be careful with bamboo because the tortoises may try to eat it. Bamboo contains high levels of cyanide which gets released when the cells get damaged, regular eaters of bamboo have a means to detoxify the cyanide. Cooking and processing bamboo removes the cyanide from it (so even people can eat it). To the best of my knowledge, the only two species of bamboo that are safe for tortoises are Fargesia and Phyllostachys, and they should only be fed as occasional treats, not as a staple.

I have no clue if the cyanide would remain after the leaves are dried.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Out of the hundreds of different kinds of bamboo in these two groups I have two types of bamboo that are in the Phyllostachys group, and one in the Fargesia group, and are safe to eat as far as I know. I have never heard of a true bamboo containing cyanide, Can you give us a little more information ?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Unfortunately I can't. The bamboo is a sight barrier that was planted when our home was purchased so aside from pictures I can't provide anymore info. If bamboo isn't safe what leaves do you suggest?

zaroba

Can you give us a little more information ?

Supposedly native north american grasses are non-toxic, however, many grasses native to other countries (many of which have been brought to the USA) have cyanide in some type of bond with another chemical such as Glocose which forms a Cyanogenic Glycoside, in bamboo it's Taxiphyllin. When in the gut, a chemical reaction results between the digestive acid (Hydrochloric Acid, HCl) and the Cyanogenic Glycoside which separates the chemical into usable sugar and highly toxic Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN). The highest concentration is in new shoots, but it is present in the rest of the plant as well.

Even in the wild, there are only a handfull of animals that eat it and have the ability to detoxify large amounts of it's cyanide. Panda's being the most well known. A few lemurs and primates occasionally eat it too, but not as a regular part of their diet.

In very small doses, cyanide can be dealt with and the body can detoxify it. Many plants contain it in some form, apple seeds, *raw* tapioca (up to 1 gram per kilogram), Peach, Cherry, and Apricot pits as well. Apple Seeds have a small amount so you would need to eat a ton of them to get enough cyanide, plus, the seeds will pass threw your digestive tract whole if undamaged. Peach and Apricot pits can contain potentially lethal amounts of Cyanide though. Cyanide can be lethal to people if more then 0.004 grams per kilogram of body weight is ingested. Can't say I know about lethal limits for other animals.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I would be careful with bamboo because the tortoises may try to eat it. Bamboo contains high levels of cyanide which gets released when the cells get damaged, regular eaters of bamboo have a means to detoxify the cyanide. Cooking and processing bamboo removes the cyanide from it (so even people can eat it). To the best of my knowledge, the only two species of bamboo that are safe for tortoises are Fargesia and Phyllostachys, and they should only be fed as occasional treats, not as a staple.

I have no clue if the cyanide would remain after the leaves are dried.

HOLY COW!!! I had no idea!!! THANKS!!!!