Banana plants inside tortoise yard or outside?

Megatron's Mom

Location (City and/or State)
North Little Rock, Arkansas
I know they cannot eat these banana plants anytime soon. I need to wait to make sure they are safe. But I'm wondering since both tortoise are smaller, would leaving them inside the their yards be safe for shade? I'll make sure they are are re potted in clean chemical free dirt from the yard.

Also since Rosemary is for ppl it should be safe right? I bought one big bush and two smaller ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20240422_143105558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240422_143105558_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Manouria tortoises will eat anything. When I first added my Manouria tortoises to my rain forest area they ate my young banana trees down to the dirt. . . 6" trunk, then they dug up the plants and ate the roots!

Megatron's Mom

Manouria tortoises will eat anything. When I first added my Manouria tortoises to my rain forest area they ate my young banana trees down to the dirt. . . 6" trunk, then they dug up the plants and ate the roots!
Thanks, I'll do like Sarah mentioned and keep it in a pot. They are too small to knock a pot over.l for this year.

Megatron's Mom

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
My neighbor planted banana plants, they always had ants on them. So be careful of the ants. However he dug them up and sold them, but they grew back.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm not sure of
Thanks, I didn't think of ants liking them,
I'm not sure of what type of banana plants you have by the pics, but if they are musa basjoo plants after a couple years they should be safe from being eaten or destroyed by your tortoise. But as they multiply the young

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm not sure of what type of banana plants you have by the pics, but if they are musa basjoo plants after a couple years they should be safe from being eaten or destroyed by your tortoise. But as they multiply the young plants may be eaten or broken down when they spout up. My sulcatas show no interest in the trunk but will eat the leaves when they are young and reachable.