Basil from the grocery store?

DoctorPotterWho

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I just picked up some "Fresh" Basil (as it says on the packaging) from my local Publix super market. It says to wash before eating so I am wondering what the consensus is on packaged herbs. Are they safe to feed my RF?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
It should be fine for your tortoise if it's fit for human consumption.
Basil is okay for tortoises in moderation, according to http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
But I tried to feed it to Tidgy once and she wouldn't eat it it. This is true of many herbs.
It seems their strong odours put many tortoises off.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Herbs in general are safe for tortoise consumption. the only problem is they tend to have a very strong smell and that will throw some tortoises off it, others seem to like it.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
Herbs in general are safe for tortoise consumption. the only problem is they tend to have a very strong smell and that will throw some tortoises off it, others seem to like it.

Thank you! My guy already seems to be a bit picky, but we will see. I am going to try it tomorrow =)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
every year at my Tortoise Club plant auction, a lady brings in a bunch of chocolate mint. It's very strong smelling but they all seem to love it.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
@dmmj

What is that auction? It sounds fabulous!
once a year my turtle and Tortoise Club in California holds a plant auction to raise funds for our chapter. It's usually a lot of fun and makes a lot of money and you get to see lots and lots and lots of different tortoise friendly plants.