Basking Red Foot?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One thing that @Anyfoot and I do the same is shade.
My outdoors pen is a jungle of plants.
His beautiful, zoo quality enclosure even has caves in it!
They tend to avoid full sunshine most of the time.

Triz

Modesto, ca
One thing that @Anyfoot and I do the same is shade.
My outdoors pen is a jungle of plants.
His beautiful, zoo quality enclosure even has caves in it!
They tend to avoid full sunshine most of the time.
Looks like ill be taking a trip to the nursery soon for new plants :) any suggestions on plants that you use? I know ive read that some plants can be bad for them if they eat them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you have a minute. Look on YouTube
I have a video up called
REDFOOT HABITAT FLORIDA STYLE
I think my plants are Lyriopi (spelling) Technically they are not edible. But I've used them forever. The video is a few years old and those plants have grown to cover about 35% of the enclosure.
Any low, bushy plants are good.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also. Most nursery plants are treated with systemic pesticides. It's why they look so good.
But in my experience, sub adult and adult Redfoot don't eat my enclosure plants.
Maybe it's just because they are so well fed.
Babies will even eat plastic plants.

Triz

Modesto, ca
Also. Most nursery plants are treated with systemic pesticides. It's why they look so good.
But in my experience, sub adult and adult Redfoot don't eat my enclosure plants.
Maybe it's just because they are so well fed.
Babies will even eat plastic plants.
Very true about the pesticides, not to mention all the different fertilizers used, I usually transplant my Tortoises enclosure plants in a pot of organic soil (without fertalizers etc.) and i havent seen him/or her eat any of those either even though some are edible Like green leaf lettuce.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I've read from some pretty reputable sources that redfoot tortoises are a savannah, forest edge species ….. yellowfoots being a more forest dwelling species , although I believe even yellowfoots are often found near canopy openings such as rivers …….. I believe it's been shown dense forest acts as a genetic barrier in redfoots , but not yellowfoots .

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
At least with hibiscus, it establishes quickly, grows fast and the new growth is generally thought to be reasonably safe.
Some other, slower growing plants might remain poisonous for a much longer time.

Triz

Modesto, ca
At least with hibiscus, it establishes quickly, grows fast and the new growth is generally thought to be reasonably safe.
Some other, slower growing plants might remain poisonous for a much longer time.
I do love Hibiscus flowers, i will definately have to get one for Mr. Wilson.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I think redfoots come from all walks of the SA tropical regions. They have to endure droughts in regions of Brazil to tropical rain forest climates. Found in and around forests, dry and wet Savannah’s.
94% of Suriname is forest.
In the Bolivian regions they even endure cold nights where ground frost can occur, probably finding refuge in tree fells and leaf litter where there is decomposing heat.
The open Savannah’s still offer plenty of shade and hiding places with long overgrown grasses and other foliage.
Point is, if it’s too hot or cold they will hide away. They don’t bask for hrs on end or graze out in the open day in day out. Yes they all occasionally bask and I’ve seen mine picking out clover and dandelion shoots from the short grass that I mow. As adults they are virtually predator free and can afford to roam around. As babies they are vulnerable from predators and overheating. For this reason they must seak out hiding places for most part. To come out into the open is a dangerous task. This goes hand in hand with not providing young redfoots with a concentrated heat source in captivity.
I often wonder how long a baby tort could actually survive without any activity,food or water. What happens to them in a 3,4,5 or 6 month drought period. Do they simply bunker down and switch off(stop growing).
All these things relate to how they behave.
They react to the situations that are put in front of them to survive.

If Ed has 85f shade and 100f open areas in Florida, his will seek out the 85f shaded areas more than the 100f open areas.
If I have 70f shaded areas and 85f open areas in the UK mine will seek out the 85f open areas more often.
Then if you consider things other than temperatures it throws in some more variables on how they act. Tempting foods, water sources, rainfall, vulnerability levels, sexual desire, other tortoises in the pens, all plays a part on there activities. My male wont just bask when another male is encroaching on his patch.
I’m just waffling on now, but it goes on and on to why we think we are seeing different actions.

Just a thought.
We all assume they are happiest when hot and active, they have to warm up to survive which presents dangers too, it’s not a choice.