beak trimming

Leo's momma

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have a sulcata that was given to me. I am trying to learn as much as I can. We have had him for about three years. He weighs 50 lbs. He has a very bad underbite and his beak is chipped. What can I do to correct this? He also has what appears to be a toe nail growing by his eye. I really wish I had taken him in to have this removed when he was little. He is so big now it would be hard to take him in. It does not seem to bother him.
Any suggestions on his beak would be greatly appreciated.

Leo.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
He looks like he was in a pretty bad accident at sometime.. has he been that way since you got him? Do you know much of his history before you? Does he eat ok? What do you feed him on or out of?
@YvonneG or @Tom can probably offer you some helpful advice...

Good luck!!

Changa

Ca
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have a sulcata that was given to me. I am trying to learn as much as I can. We have had him for about three years. He weighs 50 lbs. He has a very bad underbite and his beak is chipped. What can I do to correct this? He also has what appears to be a toe nail growing by his eye. I really wish I had taken him in to have this removed when he was little. He is so big now it would be hard to take him in. It does not seem to bother him.
Hi,
This growth looks to be removed( professionally) it looks may be blocking its vision.
I am no expert and yes Yvonne G or Tom they are the Veterans can suggestion

Leo's momma

California
He looks like he was in a pretty bad accident at sometime.. has he been that way since you got him? Do you know much of his history before you? Does he eat ok? What do you feed him on or out of?
@YvonneG or @Tom can probably offer you some helpful advice...

Good luck!!
Thank you for the quick response. I have had him since we was small. This has only happen in the last year. He roams my back yard. He mostly eats grass. I give me romaine lettuce and mixed salads 3-4 times a week. I give him Mazuri a couple times a month. I feed him off of the grass. I have not changed what I have been feeding him so I do not know why his beak is craking and breaking. I am worried about him. He has not problem eating. I have read on line about trimming the beak, but I am very nervous to do that. It also has always shown how to trim the top portion. I have not seen anyone trim the bottom of the beak.

Leo's momma

California
This growth looks to be removed( professionally) it looks may be blocking its vision.
I am no expert and yes Yvonne G or Tom they are the Veterans can suggestion

I agree it needs to be removed. I did not know what it was and now wish I had taken him to a vet when he was little. I did take him to an exotic animal store who specialized in sulcata tortoises. They said it was probably a little growth and not to worry about it. Now that it has gotten so big it is definitely a toe nail, which is very odd. I am not sure how to get him to a vet. I can't pick him up.

Changa

Ca
I agree it needs to be removed. I did not know what it was and now wish I had taken him to a vet when he was little. I did take him to an exotic animal store who specialized in sulcata tortoises. They said it was probably a little growth and not to worry about it. Now that it has gotten so big it is definitely a toe nail, which is very odd. I am not sure how to get him to a vet. I can't pick him up.
can someone help u pick him and place on a chair with wheels(a thought)

Changa

Ca
I'm a new member too I wish I can help more
My Sultcas are young as well. I am sure the Veterans will answer your call:)

Leo's momma

California
Leo will eat just about anything. He always has. He did very well when he was smaller and inside. Now that I put him outside he grazes on the grass all day. Maybe now that he is bigger I am not feeding him the right things or enough. Can someone please tell me how much I should be feeding him and how often? He weighs 50 lbs. Thank you so much for all the help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That part by his eye needs to be removed by a vet. . . I say "by a vet" because if it bleeds excessively the vet has the proper tools and medications to stop the bleeding. It is interfering with his vision. I'm surprised he's not wiping at his face constantly to remove it from his sight. And constant leg/face wiping with those front legs could cause an awful problem on his face.

I wouldn't worry too much about the beak. Now that it has broken off, it will (hopefully) grow back the way it's supposed to. But if it starts over growing, you can nip it in the bud and keep it under control.

Leo's momma

California
That part by his eye needs to be removed by a vet. . . I say "by a vet" because if it bleeds excessively the vet has the proper tools and medications to stop the bleeding. It is interfering with his vision. I'm surprised he's not wiping at his face constantly to remove it from his sight. And constant leg/face wiping with those front legs could cause an awful problem on his face.

I wouldn't worry too much about the beak. Now that it has broken off, it will (hopefully) grow back the way it's supposed to. But if it starts over growing, you can nip it in the bud and keep it under control.
Thank you so much for your help. I am going to find a vet today