Becoming a new turtle owner

ayla

Are the strip lights the long ones? I don't think I've seen them at pet supplies I'll have to check again , thank you though that helps a lot.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
This is what I use for heat bulbs
http://www.petco.com/product/111470/Zilla-Night-Black-Heat-Incandescent-Bulbs.aspx

And this is for the UVB
http://www.petco.com/product/6352/Zoo-Med-Repti-Sun-50-Fluorescent-Lamps.aspx

That is what I use for box turtles. Of course you don't want to buy from PetCo, I was just showing you what I use. Online you can find them cheaper. I like to order from LLLReptile, but there are others as well.

Locally, I find Pet Supplies Plus cheaper than PetCo, but I'm not sure if you have those near you or not.

ayla

I have a pet supplies about an hour away & petco a little over an hour away, the only stores I have in my town are two dollar stores , two hardware stores and a shopko (a mini walmart) and none of them sell reptile supplies , im not actually sure if the hardware stores would or not . I'll have to definitely try to make my way out towards them and see , I was also looking at food for winter to make sure it's getting enough to eat.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Many tortoises can be fed grocery store greens through the winter.

Taking a tub out for sun runs the risk of the animal overheating, drying out, and dying. Sudden rain can cause flooding. Drainage is critical. So is shade, moisture, and a depth of substrate they can dig into. Unless its on wheels, anything big enough for the animal is going to be massively heavy & impossible to move.

Avery Kays

PA
How much space do you really have outside your house? Having an outdoor enclosure is really ideal. If you don't have much space to make an enclosure outdoors I understand but my turtle only needs a 5 by 8 space. During the winter if your turtle is still indoors try to stimulate winter by moving the tank/cage to a cooler room. This way the turtle will want to hibernate so you won't have to worry about feeding it in the winter. Hope this helps.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Zoomed or reptisun bulbs.

It's not the case that box turtles don't need UVB bulbs - unless they're outdoors all summer and hibernating all winter.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have to agree with this more or less. The young or those that are unable to go outside for the Winter, I keep in a glass tank...size appropriate...with a long tube 5.0 UVB and a heat emitter (60 wt.) These turtles may go out all Summer, and when they come in for the Winter I still offer them a bit of UVB. Just my HO though.