Bedding

Location (City and/or State)
Wilkes Barre PA
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on in a while due to some family issues but I have a question for the more experienced. I have a young Russian (peanut), When I bought her I was using very light shredded paper for her bedding. The paper was almost tissue like so it was very soft, and held the moisture well and she seemed to enjoy it. My mother works at a place that shreds all their paperwork after the day. Would it be ok to use that as a bedding? If not its cool, I was just wondering if maybe I can cut a corner and use that which is free. It is not shredded super small so there is no risk of her ingesting any of it. She has her own feeding platform where she goes to feed that is not covered by the bedding. Can anyone help?
Thanks-Jay

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Newspaper, or any sort of paper is not a substrate I would use or recommend. I recommend coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch. Or plain dirt from the yard if yours is of suitable composition.

Wilkes Barre PA
Newspaper, or any sort of paper is not a substrate I would use or recommend. I recommend coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch. Or plain dirt from the yard if yours is of suitable composition.
Yea that's what I thought. Was worth a ask. I was planning on coco coir if the shredded paper thing didn't pan out. Is orchid bark and cypress mulch on the same lines as the pine bedding?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Orchid bark is usually fir bark. Cypress mulch is chipped/shredded cypress branches, stumps, etc. Pine shavings should not be used due to irritating oils and fir and other wood shavings should not be used due to mold growth when moistened.

Wilkes Barre PA
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on in a while due to some family issues but I have a question for the more experienced. I have a young Russian (peanut), When I bought her I was using very light shredded paper for her bedding. The paper was almost tissue like so it was very soft, and held the moisture well and she seemed to enjoy it. My mother works at a place that shreds all their paperwork after the day. Would it be ok to use that as a bedding? If not its cool, I was just wondering if maybe I can cut a corner and use that which is free. It is not shredded super small so there is no risk of her ingesting any of it. She has her own feeding platform where she goes to feed that is not covered by the bedding. Can anyone help?
Thanks-Jay
Scratch that, pine is highly toxic.

M

Maggie Cummings

cypress mulch and orchid bark are usually under $10. I also use top soil from home Depot, it's $2.47 for 2 cubic feet...

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use 100% organic peat moss as substrate. I like it better than coco coir and it is much cheaper. You get a huge bale (I mean huge) for $10 at Lowes or Home Depot.

Wilkes Barre PA
Sweet!! Thanks everyone. I will be picking up some of that peat moss next time i change peanuts enclosure. I was out today and was strapped for time so i grabbed some alpine substrate. I read about it and my buddy at the pet shop around here put some to the side for me. I never thought about peat moss. Hold moisture great i take it? Next month when i change her enclosure i will be grabbing some. Thanks!