Best Urate goal?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
So, in the two years I've owned my tortoise has produced a lot of poop. Usually that poop came with urates. But recently (few months or so) I've noticed he hasn't had any urates AT ALL. He poops and pees just fine, very regular.
I've read some differing opinions on the best urate amount being produced, but what is it?
His urates have always been whitish and creamy, no lumps or yellowness. Is his diet just better now, or do I need to give him more of something? Calcium, protein... etc?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
So, in the two years I've owned my tortoise has produced a lot of poop. Usually that poop came with urates. But recently (few months or so) I've noticed he hasn't had any urates AT ALL. He poops and pees just fine, very regular.
I've read some differing opinions on the best urate amount being produced, but what is it?
His urates have always been whitish and creamy, no lumps or yellowness. Is his diet just better now, or do I need to give him more of something? Calcium, protein... etc?
I think it not very good if it's reoccurring too many times (the urates that is) in a week, but I don't see a problem with them disappearing (especially since your giving a better diet) :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well, urates are extra of something (either calcium or protein I think) so either I'm not giving enough calcium, or just the right amount of protein... :confused: Not sure which!

Flipper

MO, USA
Huh! In the 7 weeks I've had my tortoise, I've only seen urates once and it was shortly after I got her. Now you have me thinking this is bad :confused:

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
My Leo's never release urates. My adult Russians release urates regularly.

Elohi(Earth)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Less uraates is better, it is the build up of the uric acid they excrete, when you get them you want creamy like toothpaste, the amount doesn't really matter just the consistency of them, creamy= good. chunky like in life = bad.

Flipper

MO, USA
Less uraates is better, it is the build up of the uric acid they excrete, when you get them you want creamy like toothpaste, the amount doesn't really matter just the consistency of them, creamy= good. chunky like in life = bad.
Do the get uric acid from food? Or just the metabolism of life?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Do the get uric acid from food? Or just the metabolism of life?
I think they get it from using water, you might get it from food (I think so) if it's really watery, like cucumbers or water melons. That's what I think anyways :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh wow okay, so nothing to do with calcium? not bad? That feels a lot better, I was worried! Yes, they are never chunky, just creamy like toothpaste.
I'll have to look up where uric acid comes from. So glad that less is great!

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
Interesting indeed... my 3 Leo hatchlings produce none yet my year old Sully releases a lot, very white and pasty ... nearly every soak.

His diet is 4 soaked Mazuri pellets mixed with fresh cut St. Augustine grass, Bermuda grass and wild dandelion greens and a side of spring mix daily. Then occasionally some Aloe, Hibiscus flower, Rose flower other weeds. He does crew on his cuttlebone regularly.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Urates are a natural product of the metabolism of protein rich foods and are not related to calcium intake. Some production of urates is natural and all living organisms metabolizing protein rich foods likely produce it.

Tortoises obviously do and it is natural and to be expected. One of my younger Stars produced a large urate stone recently and it is causing me to reflect on their diet as an impaction with a large urate stone can be dangerous.

Flipper

MO, USA
@Star-of-India thanks for that explanation :D Very helpful.

Yesterday and today tallula has had small smears (very creamy) of urate. These have been the first since the first couple days I've had her :confused: