Bixi Update 9.8.17

Bixi

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis, Tn
Hey guys,
Bixi is my young Sulcata Tortoise. I did a 6 month update, so I figured a 9 month update was in order. Bixi is happy and is completely over her respiratory issues. I have started taking her outside to get her natural sun and some food variety.

I am beginning to think that calling her a girl is accurate and not just hopeful! Her plastron is still flat, and her scutes have a female appearance. Also, she has not ballooned in growth the way all the charts show. Sulcatas seem to take off after the 6 month point, and honestly, Bixi hasn't grown that much. She is eating like a champ, but she is not much larger than she was a few months ago. Low and slow!

Another thing is that she is much more shy now than she was when she was a hatchling. I didn't handle her through her illness or for quite some time afterwards (about 4 months total) except to give her shots. I am sure she learned to associate handling with the prick of the needle. So now I am trying to retrain her that I am "food and safety". ;)

All in all she is doing well and looking good. Thank you to everyone who has responded to my posts in the past. Your info has been very helpful!

Bixi's Dad

p.s. - Bixi in the sun https://imgur.com/NpK5y5l

Bixi

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis, Tn
I took Bixi outside for an hour today, and this was the 1st time she hasn't pee'd and pooped when I picked her up to take her outside! I feel like that is progress. I have always put her in a box with a towel when I take her outside because of her bathroom habits. I think she is learning to associate being picked up with going outside and getting a fresh snack now. Yay for progress!