"Black" Russians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
The landscape timbers came from a neighbor that was tearing down a flower bed. I had to buy four more, which was part of the $11, plus two bags of top soil. I found the boards that became the overhang being thrown out for trash. The broken pieces of cement came from a house that was being partially demolished and rebuilt. They had piles of concrete laying around and a dumpster full. I just knocked on the door and asked if I could have some. He asked if I wanted all of it, lol ;)

And thanks, I love my little Russians, they are my favorite "group."

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can order a black russian at the bar.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
It seems my two males are the darkest. one female is also equally as "black" but then two other females are more average and one female seems maybe "blonde"

jkingler

5 Year Member
Can you post some pictures of them? I'd love to see them, and do you know if the rest of their clutch/their parent breeding pair was also darker/"black"?

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
no idea about the parents/clutchmates, they are from pet stores. Will take some pics soon!

jkingler

5 Year Member
Aren't they! They are definitely on my tortoise wishlist for when I get a big enough place to happily home 3+ torts. I just love 'em!

And I am no expert, but it could be an adaptation to get more heat...but if there are predators in their natural habitat, it could also be a way to camouflage in their specific area of origin...or else a genetic mutation that has not resulted in all tortoises with that trait being eaten and removed from the gene pool...or who knows. :p

jkingler

5 Year Member
Quite possibly. I would be interested to know if that is the case. If so, maybe Black Russians would do better in, say, Denver than their lighter brethren? Interesting to ponder...

Definitely post relevant articles if you happen across them. :D

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
There is a Russian at my petco who is sooooo black!!! If I had more room I would buy him ASAP.

Attachments

• Resampled_2012-02-05_14-56-41_846.jpg
    Resampled_2012-02-05_14-56-41_846.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 46

jkingler

5 Year Member
Whoa! If I was closer, I might, too. Awesome looking Russian, there! :O

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Beautiful photos of Russians everyone!

Just one comment on the chicken wire-It was part of a pen where my beautiful Hermanns that came with me from UK got out of.It wasn't him really though that created the hole-it was our pet rabbit at the time. they often shared some outdoor space in a pen with chicken wire and for some reason the rabbit chewed through the wire and when I went to get Henry in he was gone but the rabbit decided to stay!!(We never found him in time before Winter-just his empty shell the following Spring-he has walked 6 miles straight North of us)
It was so devastating so I guess if you had other creature around it isn't the strongest barrier (rabbits, rats etc etc)

Sorry to ramble on-it was something I would never wish on anyone and wish I had used stronger mesh in hind sight and all that.....

I'm really enjoying these beautiful photos - never seen Russian torts like this-very nice!

jkingler

5 Year Member
I have one of my own now! :D I've named him Sanya (after the Black Russian character from the Dresden Files, if you've read the books, haha). He's abooout 6-7 in SCL - not exactly sure, just got him last night.

Will post some pics once Laura gets her new phone sent to her - looking forward to sharing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.