bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam

5 Year Member
hi my name is adam and i have a few questions about my sulcata his name is bob and he is about 5 years old i got him when he was a baby.he is now on a diet of grass but for the first 4 years he ate most greens he appears to be healthy eats every other day but he is only 2 pounds is this bad

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Adam:

105507d567k6qrs1.gif

to the forum!!

We have another, more famous, Bob here on the forum!

It is a bit unusual for a five year old sulcata to only weigh 2 pounds. I think if you feed him every day he will grow better. Do you supplement with any vitamins and calcium?

I know that someone when you first got your tortoise told you he only needed to eat every other day, but that was the wrong scoop. Babies should be fed every day, and when hatchlings some people even feed them twice a day.

Out in the desert, a sulcata doesn't wake up one morning any say, "Well, let's see...I think I ate yesterday, so I'd better not go out and eat today."

Animals eat every day, just like you and I.

You're on the right track trying to get him to eat grasses and weeds, however, I believe it would be a good idea, because he's so small, to feed him a nice big pile of greens with some grass or hay sprinkled over the top. I like to use Spring Mix for the babies. You can buy it in the produce section of the grocery store in the packaged lettuces section.

Take a look through our sulcata section, and especially those threads having to do with our own Bob!!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
That is funny, because when I first say your post, I thought "Yippie!! Another Bob story!" Not that we are not very happy for you and your own Bob, who will henceforth be thought of as "Adam's Bob" in my mind, anyway, to be here.:D

We'd love to see photos of your Bob so you can get lots of advice from people with tons of experience in caring for Sulcatas.

Welcome to the forum!;)

M

Maggie Cummings

welcome to the forum. a growing Sulcata should beg for food every time they see you.
I totally agree with Yvonne , you eat every day and your tortoise needs to eat everyday. If I were you I would be making a "tortoise salad" lots of dark leafy greens with other green stuff added in and put a big pile in front of him and see how he eats. He should gobble it down without leaving any. If he leaves some then you should back off some. He will tell you how much he should eat, so you need to pay attention to him and watch him eat.
Here's a link to a care sheet for Sulcata. Please read it and feed your baby better...does he have a UVB light or is he outside? A growing Sulcata eats a lot and I have noticed that their weight and age correspond with each other. *basically* a tort should weigh 5 pounds if he is 5 yrs old. 3 pounds at 3 years and so on. That stops when they are about 10 pounds...So I think that your tortoise should weigh 5 pounds same as his age...it would be beneficial to all concerned if you would tell us how you have him set up. UVB, substrate that sort of stuff so we can see how he is living . I hope this helps...

http://africantortoise.com/sulcata.htm

adam

5 Year Member
well bob spends his time indoors i built a turtle table it is 4 feet by 4 feet with crushed coconut shell bedding i keep the room around 80 to 85 during the day turn it down a bit at night sometimes but i have 1 heat bulb 1 uv bulb and there is a spot where he gets shad i soak him every other day before he eats i do give him a calcium sup and keep water in turtle table always

Status
Not open for further replies.