Body Mass Condition of Tortoises Found in Greece

MarginatedMooney

Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I found this research article a while back about body mass condition of Hermann's, Greek, and Marginated tortoises.

From this research, they were able to develop a more accurate body mass condition for each of these species and it also takes into account differences between males and females for each. There is also a website with a calculator associated with this and I've added the link below.

I can't speak for other species, but this has been helpful for me and seems more accurate for Marginateds than other calculations such as Jackson's ratio. Since Marginated tortoises are longer than most other species relative to their size/weight, they typically show up as being really underweight using other calculations.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ortoises_Regional_and_Interspecific_variation

http://www.ahailey.f9.co.uk/cond.htm

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ahhh...I don't know why nobody has yet responded to this, but I took a look, and of course, it's totally beyond me. What's it really saying?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ahhh...I don't know why nobody has yet responded to this, but I took a look, and of course, it's totally beyond me. What's it really saying?
🙄 Tammy.

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
🙄 Tammy.
It's talking about the body mass index of tortoises that they've called condition index. Basically, it's the weight you would expect if you measured the length of your tortoise. They went around and took the weight and length measurements of wild tortoises in Greece to come up with this.