Can I take my Desert Tortoises to the UK?

Terrapin 3

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise
My family plans on moving to Scotland in a couple of months, and I've been putting in some research but am not getting definitive answers. I have three tortoises, one greek, tortoise, and two desert tortoises. I've had one of the deserts for six years and the other for two, both were gifted to me by owners who couldn't care for them. I was told they were Sulcatas when I got them but quickly found out that they are Desert tortoises. I understand that this species is protected, so would I be able to bring them with me to the UK? Do I need a permit or something to do so? Once again, I've had them for quite some time and consider them a part of my family, an answer would be appreciated.

Trieste

Arizona
My family plans on moving to Scotland in a couple of months, and I've been putting in some research but am not getting definitive answers. I have three tortoises, one greek, tortoise, and two desert tortoises. I've had one of the deserts for six years and the other for two, both were gifted to me by owners who couldn't care for them. I was told they were Sulcatas when I got them but quickly found out that they are Desert tortoises. I understand that this species is protected, so would I be able to bring them with me to the UK? Do I need a permit or something to do so? Once again, I've had them for quite some time and consider them a part of my family, an answer would be appreciated.
I did some light googling and found the following on gov.uk. I’m in the Phoenix area if you’re interested in rehoming. Good luck!

Endangered species​

You’ll need to apply for a permit or certificate if you’re bringing an animal protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) into Great Britain.

This includes certain reptiles and birds, for example, tortoises and parrots.

Trieste

Arizona
LOL - some people put "no where" or "everywhere" so i thought it was like "its a surprise". My bad...
Lol, I completely understand. I live in the area so I recognized it straight away :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Desert tortoises are federally protected. They cannot be moved from their state of origin. They certainly cannot be moved internationally, and even if you could they would surely die in short order in Scotland. They need warm sunny dry conditions. They can't survive in cold clammy conditions. I used to rescue them from coastal areas by moving them inland to warmer drier areas. I saw so many sick ones even here in sunny southern CA, the closer they were to the coast.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've got one big thing wrong with your original statement: they're not YOUR tortoises. Desert tortoises belong to their state of origin. . . you are only their caretaker. As such they cannot be taken out of their state.