Box Turtle Help

Garrison

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So, today at my grandparents they found a box turtle in their yard, it seemed really friendly and used to people but i can't help but wonder if he/she is actually wild. I brought it home and put it in a temporary 10 gallon can someone help me decide if this is a wild turtle or not?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
So, today at my grandparents they found a box turtle in their yard, it seemed really friendly and used to people but i can't help but wonder if he/she is actually wild. I brought it home and put it in a temporary 10 gallon can someone help me decide if this is a wild turtle or not?
Near impossible to tell if wild or not. Texas only has 2 native box turtle species: three-toed and ornate. If yours is neither of the aforementioned, it's safe to assume it is not wild. Can you post any pics of it?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Looks to be a three toed. Based on the smoothness of the shell and the scuff marks, I am guessing It may be wild.

Garrison

Texas
What do you think I should do, I don’t want to keep it if it’s wild, cause it seems cruel to me, but if it’s not wild that could also be bad.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That's up to you. I used to catch wild eastern boxes when I was growing up and they did great. As long as you can properly care for it and provide the type of woodland environment it needs, the you should be fine. Legally, there are no laws in Texas barring you from keeping it.

Box turtles like to dig under damp brush, logs, etc to find nice juicy worms, grubs, and bugs. You can usually tell the wild ones from the scuff marks on the carapace from burrowing (hibernation) and digging under logs and rocks for food.