box turtle outdoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im coming up with plans for a few outdoor pens for eastern box turtles. I recantly started getting back into them after owning them for 15 years then not having any the past 5 years. Im trying to get all captive bred adults right now I have 5 1m 4f. so im coming up with plans for there enclosure first.

I plan on building 4 enclosures for 4 diffrent groups of Box turtles and would like 2m 4f in each how big should they be. I was told that a 10x4 enclosure should house them fine but that seems small to me so I am looking for advise??

Thanks
Jeremey

pneumaticbetta

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
my box turtles roam the backyard. i drove 8" deep pvc stakes (you can use anything) in the ground. spaced just smaller than the turtle can fit through. the stakes sit 4" underground and 4" above ground. this way they cant get over the areas i dont want them to be in and they cant dig under. its alot bigger of a roaming area than 10x4.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
well I have 3 kids that rule the back yard so they wont be able to roam the whole back yard after doing some more reading I think im going with 5'4" wide bye 11' 4" long will be the area of roam. Enclosures will be made out of 16" cinder blacks so it will be 9 long and 4 wide.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I have 1 male and 3 females in an area that is 5 x 8. I have planted many tort friendly plants and have hollow logs, water bowls and about 6" of hardwood mulch. They seem quite content in it and don't seem to show any stress or act as if they feel confined.

Boxies2Torts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks gives me confidence mine would be ok in a 10x5 enclosure the only thing is I want to try 2m 4f so might have to drop 1 male if they look stressed

Status
Not open for further replies.