Box turtle plant safety

Honey.k

Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis
Hi, I have a Box turtle and wanted to add live plants to her enclosure. What are some safe small plants that thrive in the dark? I have it set up where she has a large light area and a slightly smaller area thats has no light. Are there any mosses or plants you would suggest? I also would like to know if it’s best to have an area thats dark like that and if I should add a dimmed light on the other side. I do know she needs a place to cool off so I figured I should keep it dark. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome

There’s an entire section dedicated to “how to 5ake care of box turtles”.
Go there and check everything out.

Before you get too far astray, how large is the enclosure? This time of year in Indianapolis your boxie should be outside in a large safe pen.

Honey.k

Indianapolis
Greetings & Welcome

There’s an entire section dedicated to “how to 5ake care of box turtles”.
Go there and check everything out.

Before you get too far astray, how large is the enclosure? This time of year in Indianapolis your boxie should be outside in a large safe pen.
I sadly don't have the ability to have her outside but I have her in a two sided/roomed enclosure. I have modified it for her to use better. I use coconut fiber substrate so I would need to put the plants in separate pots since it is so hard to grow in coconut. The enclosure is 38 x 25 x 12 inches.