Breeding pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central TX
What is the best way to get a breeding pair of Leopard tortoises? Any info on breeding them is helpful. Thanks!

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
I guess I meant can I just buy an adult male and female from separate dealers and they would bond fine?

Lil' Tortie said:
What is the best way to get a breeding pair of Leopard tortoises? Any info on breeding them is helpful. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Boy meets girl. Boy breeds girl. Boy leaves the territory.

That's the name of the game, Lil' Tortie. After a quarantine period, there is nothing stopping a male from breeding the female. Personally, I think "bonding" is an anthropormorfic thought and really doesn't apply to tortoises.

Yvonne

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
Would an 11" male be too small for a 14" female? Would a female pb and a male pp do ok?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I personally think subspecies need to stay pure, so a pp and pp or a pb and pb but not a pb and pp. This is my opinion and I think you would probabley get more viable eggs with like subspecies. I don't have Leos this is just my opinion derived from what I have read here and on other sites and other research I have done.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
I'd agree with both Yvonne & Robyn ~ Xllnt advice, Ladies ~

Purpod

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Lil' Tortie said:

I saw an ad for leopard pairs in San Jose, CA today at kingsnake. I live in San Jose too so it's very tempting for me to add to my collection, although my intention is to just concentrate in Ibera:D.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
Lil' Tortie said:
Would an 11" male be too small for a 14" female? Would a female pb and a male pp do ok?
hi provided he is mature an 11" male will mate with a 14" female ,if he shows no interest at first dont worry as some can be intimidated by the females size and will become more dominant as he matures.i think its better to keep the subspecies pure also you may find fertility poor if you dont, and have difficulty finding homes for any hatchlings.
terry

Lil' Tortie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Central TX
agiletorts said:
Lil' Tortie said:

I saw an ad for leopard pairs in San Jose, CA today at kingsnake. I live in San Jose too so it's very tempting for me to add to my collection, although my intention is to just concentrate in Ibera:D.

I'm also very tempted to get a breeding pair/group but really have to reconsider. I am so interested in breeding tortoises and can't seem to be patient for 7/8 more years for my baby torts to be ready. Well it's good to learn now and apply later.

Status
Not open for further replies.