Bringing the baby back from the edge

CincyTort26

Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys,

I have a baby tort I’ve had about two weeks now. Enclosure is set up perfectly for a baby sulcata, but she’s going down hill anyway.

she hasn’t eaten for at least 4 days now and is getting weaker by the day.
And she hasn’t opened her eyes in 5.

what can I do? If she doesn’t eat, she will not survive.

Im soaking her twice a day. She barely holds her nostrils above the water line.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like it's pretty far gone. The only thing I know to do with stuck shut eyes is to soak in Gerber strained carrots - 50/50 with warm water. What leads a baby to this problem is living in incorrect conditions. You said your enclosure is set up perfectly, however, something is wrong or this wouldn't have happened. Please post pictures of the enclosure, showing us everything about it, even the baby inside the enclosure - lights, hiding places, etc. everything.

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
I should add, I only got the baby two weeks ago. I never saw her eat well the whole time and she was never very active. 0D6D2F5D-DE42-407C-8B3E-1A43DDE0355B.jpeg
I’ve offered grass, spring mix, and Mazuri.
Temps range from 82-105 with humidity at 80%

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
see
I should add, I only got the baby two weeks ago. I never saw her eat well the whole time and she was never very active. View attachment 291226
I’ve offered grass, spring mix, and Mazuri.
Temps range from 82-105 with humidity at 80%
seems like you had everything Right, it might just be the tortoise some just don’t thrive. try keeping it warm 24/7 and soaking it every other day. it might be to late

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
This is her the day she arrived.... @Tom said she looked emaciated from the get-go. I just feel so bad for her.

Update: she's still getting weaker. The 50/50 gerber carrot/water hasn't helped. She'll orient herself a little bit to where she wants to be temp wise, but very slowly, and then just lays her head down.

At this point I don't know what to do. She hasn't eaten anything in days (and before then ate almost nothing). Hasn't opened her eyes in days. She's not going to get any better without nutrients, so I feel like at this point I'm just waiting for her to die and it feels terrible.

If she were a dog or a cat I would have her on subQ fluids and be force feeding her. My BF is telling me I should just euthanize her at this point because she's just suffering/starving to death... I don't think he's wrong... but I just don't think I could... I just don't know what to do.

IMG_5555.jpeg

Sa Ga

MN
You can get Oxbow Critical care and tube feed her. Can u get to a vet? They can give her iv hydration which at this point is more vital than food.

Keep soaking her (long times, keep warm the whole time) and get to a vet to learn how to tube feed.

Sa Ga

MN
P.S. that really isn't the right type of enclosure for her. Get a small tub that you can keep consistently warm and very humid.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
P.S. that really isn't the right type of enclosure for her. Get a small tub that you can keep consistently warm and very humid.
Look at the picture. It's covered in plastic and her humidity and temps are solid.

@CincyTort26 I'm sorry your having to deal with this. I didn't say anything but that tortoise looked bad when you got it. Have you spoke to ATC?

CincyTort26

Cincinnati, OH
Look at the picture. It's covered in plastic and her humidity and temps are solid.

@CincyTort26 I'm sorry your having to deal with this. I didn't say anything but that tortoise looked bad when you got it. Have you spoke to ATC?
I have not. I think I will email them today, though.

Yesterday she opened her eyes while I was soaking her, and I caught her munching on a piece of grass. Today she’s back to how she was, so I’m taking it day by day.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I brought home a severely sick and underweight tort last fall, and one of the major factors that I attribute his recovery to was incredibly long soaks in carrot baby food and water mixes, along with watered-down Gatorade and pedialyte.

Soaking the tortoise inside the enclosure allowed me to keep the soaking solution at a good temp, and I would soak the tort for 4-8 hours a day... you read that right.

He's nearly doubled his weight in less than six months... fingers crossed for your baby.

Jamie

Sa Ga

MN
I brought home a severely sick and underweight tort last fall, and one of the major factors that I attribute his recovery to was incredibly long soaks in carrot baby food and water mixes, along with watered-down Gatorade and pedialyte.

Soaking the tortoise inside the enclosure allowed me to keep the soaking solution at a good temp, and I would soak the tort for 4-8 hours a day... you read that right.

He's nearly doubled his weight in less than six months... fingers crossed for your baby.

Jamie
Yes, ppl really forget how important hydration is--and how quickly it needs replenishing!

Sa Ga

MN
I have not. I think I will email them today, though.

Yesterday she opened her eyes while I was soaking her, and I caught her munching on a piece of grass. Today she’s back to how she was, so I’m taking it day by day.
I am praying to the powers that be that your little guy makes it!!! It is amazing (and a little nerve-wracking!) how much they can yo-yo, esp with hydration and temps.

Sa Ga

MN

Be careful that the plastic isn't getting too warm, as they can produce fumes/give off chemicals depending on the type of plastic.