Bubbles new indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanni

5 Year Member
Since our little Mr. Bubbles grew a bit and we find his old enclosure, that we had in the beginning, seems to be shockingly small, I build a wooden crate last night, that he will be moving in latest tomorrow. Its a narrow, longer encloser, about 35 inch to 15 inch and is for the next weeks till I build the actual tortoise table (I plan on 3fx6f). At that point Mr. Bubbles is not quite 2 inch yet...
Now my question... I lined the whole thing with cupboard lining... this contact sticky paper, that with normal duct tape at the edges hopefully helps to keep water or moisture of the wood.
Now before I move my little favorite tortoise... I hope that paper is ok?
Otherwise I do take it out and just to leave it simply wooden? Or try to get pond lining - which I actually have to stick to the crate with duct tape as well?
Thankfully for all input,
Nanni

nanni

5 Year Member
dannel said:
This is a good thread on sealing a tort table.Sealing a tort table??

Thank you Dannel,
thats a great thread, it definitely helped me planning my next project, the big table :).

Unfortunately I didn't find anywhere anything to this contact liner, I used today. I actually really have to admit, I do not know whats the main material either... I just had that here and the box had to be build quick to get everything in order, before Mr. Bubbles gets sick or something, so I thought, its a great idea... :(

Your help is appreciated. Thanks again for the fast reply, Dannel.
Nanje

dannel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan, Canada
nanni said:
dannel said:
This is a good thread on sealing a tort table.Sealing a tort table??

Thank you Dannel,
thats a great thread, it definitely helped me planning my next project, the big table :).

Unfortunately I didn't find anywhere anything to this contact liner, I used today. I actually really have to admit, I do not know whats the main material either... I just had that here and the box had to be build quick to get everything in order, before Mr. Bubbles gets sick or something, so I thought, its a great idea... :(

Your help is appreciated. Thanks again for the fast reply, Dannel.
Nanje

What about using a shower curtain?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The liner will probably be fine, as long as he doesn't or can't get to it and eat it.

nanni

5 Year Member
wellington said:
The liner will probably be fine, as long as he doesn't or can't get to it and eat it.

Thanks so much, now I feel better.
I will move her tomorrow morning and then will start working on the other table, as soon as my hubby can take me shopping for wood.

Dannel, I do not have a shower curtain here, thats why I took the liner... and I can't drive and just get something. But I do keep the shower curtain in mind and maybe I can get one somewhere and use it additional with the liner, just to make sure.
I do make sure, that she won't be able to come to the liner and eat it, since I will have pots with plants around it and substrate and stones... so I hope that will work.
Thanks both of you again and have a great evening!
Love this forum, and am happy to be member here... pics will follow.
Nanni

nanni

5 Year Member
Bubbles in her new enclosure... running around and exploring already for quite a while... hope that is a good sign :). It seemed like, once she found her sleeping log, she was ok and could go on exploring... :).
Greetings from Nanni and Bubbles

Attachments

• 1005121721-02.jpg
    1005121721-02.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 66

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Nice size! What kind of tort do you have (can't make it out in the pic)? You might want to lightly spray down your substrate to moisten it?

nanni

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Nice size! What kind of tort do you have (can't make it out in the pic)? You might want to lightly spray down your substrate to moisten it?

Its a Hermann, and as far as I heard, they don't like it to moist? I soak her every other day though. Sometimes, when it was very hot, every day. But please - let me know if you think its necessary...

Another question...after Bubbles took everything in view and walked around for quite a while, she actually climbed in the hiding spot in the cold end of the enclosure... hiding in there, way back towards the wall, but not dug in like normal... do I have to worry that she gets to cold there and rather put her to the warmer side? Would she try to find something warmer, in case she gets to cold over night?
Weather forecast said it will be quite cold this night here in Michigan... (thats where we live... Detroit Area, MI).
Nanni

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
If there are hides on both sides of the enclosure, she should be able to choose what hide to use according to how warm or cold she is. Id keep an eye on it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.