Building outdoor enclosure

Tyty1389

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota
Okay, so I have been slowly putting together an outdoor enclosure. It is intended to be a home for a redfoot in the future. I’m new to tortoises and wanted any suggestions that could be thrown my way. FYI I live in South Florida so I’m hoping to keep the tort out almost year round, temps permitting. I’m actually thinking I will expand this enclosure another 10 feet, mostly because I can. I would especially like insight from those who live in South Florida and keep redfoots outside. I almost think I have to much shade in this location, but then I think it a Forrest tortoise. I would love to hear anybody’s thoughts. The bottom pick is the older pick, thus the lack of foliage.43497880-23C9-4035-A557-9D1DFD738E76.jpeg BF320261-E90E-4082-B2A7-436FA486B063.jpeg

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I had the same amount of shade here in central Fl until Irma stripped all the oak leaves away. Hope to have shade back in a few months. Your shade is no problem as long as it’s warm out. My RFs have been outside under the shade of an oak hammock for over 15 years. They don’t really bask in the sun like your beardie does. They’ll still get plenty of UV in broken sun/shade. I do have a warm house for them with 2 CHEs inside. Please check that your plants are tort safe before introducing a RF. I don’t know if sappy plants like rubber plants or plumaria are edible. 6 inch should be minimum size for full time outside RF.

Tyty1389

Sarasota
Okay, glad to here that about the shade. The plants I have planted in and around the enclosure are Hibiscus, two varieties of banana tree, a palm tree that has no palms as of yet, Guinea grass (Megathyrsus maximus) and some kind of fern. I also have some bromeliads outside of the enclosure, I am not sure if those are safe or not, I can remove them if need be. The plumeria are not staying there, I just have them there until they root. Where can get a red foot that is over 6 inches? I only seem to be able to find hatchlings.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I think one close to you is Redfoot Ranch. I’ve seen where they have yearlings around 5”, but there are many other breeders in FL. Just gotta search

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello fellow south Floridian. (Sarasota isn't nearby. I'm in Sunrise. West of Fort Lauderdale)
Craigslist is loaded with Redfoot. Place a wanted ad and just sit back and wait.
Check out my short video on YOUTUBE called Redfoot habitat Florida style.
Feel free to email me if you wish at [email protected]
I have quite a bit of supplies, houses, feeding and watering pans, etc. Most of it is free.
Beware of so called rescues here in south Florida or any "breeders" that have a few low mileage animals to sell.
It's been my experience that most of these guys are just scammers.
It'll almost always be warm enough. Your Redfoot will need a lot of shade. They stay out of the direct sunlight. It stresses them out pretty fast and they stay in the shade and will overheat quickly if they can't get cool.
You'll need a shallow pond. They spend lots of time in the water.
You may need a sprinkler on a hose during the dryer winter months to keep up the humidity.
Make sure that you don't build in an area of your yard that can flood. If you need to, do what I've done and build up the area first.
I'll give you help and any assistance you need.

Attachments

• 1424470789306.jpg
    1424470789306.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Tyty1389

Sarasota
Hi Zero, I checked out your youtube video and your set up is awesome! What did you use for the warm hide, and also what are the rubber flaps that act as a passive barrier?

Tyty1389

Sarasota
Update to the enclosure. It is now 20x10. How many red foots would you guys say could live in this?

Attachments

• IMG_4643.JPG
    IMG_4643.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 58