Bumps on shell--Can they be flattened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
Fred's got quite a bumpy shell. I was told this was due to an imbalance in the calcium/phosphorous ratio. I am wondering if I can do something to get his shell to smooth out. Has anyone had any success with this, and what did you do?

S

Scooter

The bumpyness is called pyramiding. The bumps that are there can not be flattened but with proper care all new shell grow can be flat. If you search for pyramiding you will find lots of post on this. To prevent further pyramiding you need a good diet, UV, calcium and humidity.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Some torts just grow a bit bumpy naturally...not pyramiding. You can tel the difference by looking at them though, because pyramiding has the scutes have that raised pyramided shape, and a bit bumpy is a mild bumpy look where there are gaps between the scutes and they aren't completely flat. If you provide us pictures of the tort we can see what is going on, how severe it is, etc. 99% sure it is pyramiding though. Humidity is the key thing in my opinion. How old/big is Fred? You want to have him on a moist substrate (not wet) such as cypress mulch, orchid bark, coconut coir, organic potting soil, etc.

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Some torts just grow a bit bumpy naturally...not pyramiding. You can tel the difference by looking at them though, because pyramiding has the scutes have that raised pyramided shape, and a bit bumpy is a mild bumpy look where there are gaps between the scutes and they aren't completely flat. If you provide us pictures of the tort we can see what is going on, how severe it is, etc. 99% sure it is pyramiding though. Humidity is the key thing in my opinion. How old/big is Fred? You want to have him on a moist substrate (not wet) such as cypress mulch, orchid bark, coconut coir, organic potting soil, etc.

Fred is nine pounds. I'm guessing he's about 4-5 years old. He definitely has the pyramiding. His scutes are very prounounced. I would love to send a picture but read the directions to do this and it's just too complicated for me, I'm afraid.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Go to a site like tinypic.com or postimage.org and upload photo. Copy and paste the web address that says it is for forums (has "" before and after it). The photo will then show up in the text.

Having a moist substrate will help provide humidity and have future smooth growth so the old pyramiding is less pronounced. You also need to make sure the diet is correct (no protein) and the tort gets plenty of exercise. Does he live outside full time? If so, then having warm sprinklers on him and/or a mud hole is great.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Speaking of mud holes, do you just dig a hole and soak it with water? I was trying to think of ideas where the water wouldn't dry up so fast.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
TortieLuver said:
Speaking of mud holes, do you just dig a hole and soak it with water? I was trying to think of ideas where the water wouldn't dry up so fast.

we had a soak in a depression in the yard. it doesn't soak in here (phoenix, w/ mineralized soil). I would keep it away from the house and walls. RV one night dug her burrow where the mud hole was.....

Status
Not open for further replies.