Cactus pads how much how often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member
This will be my first time ordering cactus pads and I have
a few questions.

How much should I order for 13 torts? (5 that are mine and 8 fosters)

I have Russians, Hermann's and Sulcata's, will all three breeds eat them?

How much and how often should they be given? (ie: the little ones verses my big Sulcata 22 incher)

How long a do they last? Do they need to be refrigerated?

Thank you to anyone who can help me figure this all out.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Lots of variables in these questions.

Are you going to be mixing the cactus in their diets or just feeding it by itself?
How long are you intending to keep feeding it to them?
How many of the tortoises are adults? Adults of each species can eat a lot more than a baby.
Adult sulcatas can eat cactus pads like an old man in a nursing home can eat gingersnaps.
They last for quite some time if refrigerated. You can also plant them and grow your own too.
How long will you have the fosters for?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Blessed3x said:
This will be my first time ordering cactus pads and I have
a few questions.

How much should I order for 13 torts? (5 that are mine and 8 fosters)

I have Russians, Hermann's and Sulcata's, will all three breeds eat them?

How much and how often should they be given? (ie: the little ones verses my big Sulcata 22 incher)

How long a do they last? Do they need to be refrigerated?

Thank you to anyone who can help me figure this all out.

I've never had a tortoise that wouldn't eat cactus pads, and I've kept Hermann's, Steppes (formerly called Russians), a Sulcata, Iberians, Homes' hingebacks, Texas tortoise, and baby-sat a couple of Redfoots.

I feed my 4 tortoises cactus pads about 2X a week, on average, and depending on the size of the pads (6" to 8"), one or two...these are young adult Hermann's torts, ranging in size from 5" to 8". A baby European would likely eat possibly a 1/4 of a small pad, chopped up into pieces about 1 cm square. Your sulcata will possibly polish off 3-4 pads per feeding. You'll soon see how much each individual tort can hold, and you'll rarely find left-overs. :cool:

Have you considered growing your own cactus?...it'd save you quite a bit of $$$, I've thinking...particularily with an ever-growing sulcata!

Status
Not open for further replies.