Cactus pads??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me how the cactus pads keep.. Ws debating ordering 5lbs and refrigerating it?? How long will it keep??

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Kept dry and cool they should keep for a few weeks, depending on how thick they are to start with. Thinner pads don't last as long.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Do not refrigerate! Keep them at room temp and they'll last for months...they may even produce new growth in that time!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Mine spoiled in a week when I kept them at room temp. I put them in large glad bags and keep them in the refrigerator and they last for a long time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't believe they spoiled so quickly, I have often kept pads and pieces of cactus outside for weeks and never had a problem.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
CtTortoiseMom said:
Mine spoiled in a week when I kept them at room temp. I put them in large glad bags and keep them in the refrigerator and they last for a long time.

Glad I am not the only one. Of course, I swear I must have some cactus hating chemical in my blood stream, because I can kill or have go bad, a cactus faster then all the rest of your guys. :( :rolleyes:

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Mine last for month too, I keep them outside on my patio. The pricky pears however do not, they go bad fast.

Jacqui and Erin where are you getting your pads from? I am thinking they might not be as fresh.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I get mine off Ebay. I got so much one time that I did not have room for all of it in the fridge so I kept half out and half in the fridge. The half I kept out turned an orangey color and became mushy. I was really surprised and they are pretty expensive so I never tried to keep them out again. Could it be the difference in where we live?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
CtTortoiseMom said:
I get mine off Ebay. I got so much one time that I did not have room for all of it in the fridge so I kept half out and half in the fridge. The half I kept out turned an orangey color and became mushy. I was really surprised and they are pretty expensive so I never tried to keep them out again. Could it be the difference in where we live?

I know cacti don't do very well under wet/moist conditions. it is wet and or moist where you are?

Calamala

5 Year Member
I am lucky enough that my yard is full of them! I can just go pick and clean them. The bad part is the prickles in my finger tips! YIKES..next time I am wearing gloves.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto what Dean said.

I've left pads sitting out for months before feeding them out or planting them. I had a box of them sitting in the breezeway for nearly 8 months at one time. It was in the shade, but temps were over 100 for most of the summer. I have a pad right now that is laying flat on top of a dog cage, with no soil anywhere near it, and its got two new 4-5" pads growing out of it. It must have to do with moisture. Just guessing. It is very dry where Dean, The Captain and I live.

topsyturvey

5 Year Member
Harbor Springs, Michigan
I cut mine up into strips, froze them on a cookie sheet then put them in zip lock bags, I haven't fed them yet but can't see where it should be an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.