Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
soundwave said:
Hi Robyn,

Who do you plant the Prickly pear pads? Can they grow indoors?

Thanks

I'm no RobYN but I am Rob, does that count? :p

I am growing mine indoors, but I plan to take the cacti outside during the day for sun. And on days I can't do that, I will have grow lights going. So I am hoping they will grow indoors (I imagine they will), with the lights anyways.

I am assuming you meant "How do you plant" instead of "who". I used a 50% play sand/ 50% oragnic potting soil for the pots. The pots, from what I've read, shouldn't be TOO big, but Robyn says they grow so easily it shouldn't matter. You wait for the Pad to seal (no gooey-ness) and dry and then you plant the pad 2-3" deep.

Make sure to pat down the soil around the pad as they tend to fall if not firmly planted.

Hope this helps, soundwave.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Seiryu said:
soundwave said:
Hi Robyn,

Who do you plant the Prickly pear pads? Can they grow indoors?

Thanks

I'm no RobYN but I am Rob, does that count? :p

I am growing mine indoors, but I plan to take the cacti outside during the day for sun. And on days I can't do that, I will have grow lights going. So I am hoping they will grow indoors (I imagine they will), with the lights anyways.

I am assuming you meant "How do you plant" instead of "who". I used a 50% play sand/ 50% oragnic potting soil for the pots. The pots, from what I've read, shouldn't be TOO big, but Robyn says they grow so easily it shouldn't matter. You wait for the Pad to seal (no gooey-ness) and dry and then you plant the pad 2-3" deep.

Make sure to pat down the soil around the pad as they tend to fall if not firmly planted.

Hope this helps, soundwave.

Hi Rob,

opps I meant "how to plant them" :)

Thank you for the information.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
My experience is they grow like weeds. Loose soil does not support them well as they grow shoots. I had one I have neglected for years, and when I got the torts, I cut off the shoots and planted them in a pot (with dirt from the yard) out side. The shoots were very thin, and in need of water. Anyway, they were put in the pot outside in May, and now all are fat and have 2-3 shoots each. I just cut off half a shoot with scissors and mince it for the torts. The cut living part "scabs" over and new shoots will form!

I have had cactus's all my life, and have never bought soil for them. They thrive in the hard soil from the yard.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
This plant was planted last year and housed indoors over the winter. It is outdoors now and growing well. We have cut off some pads to feed.

IMG_1564.jpg

We have had very good luck buying bulk quantities from Rivenrock.com. They have kept very well in a cool room in the basement for months.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"Prickly pear pads, Nopales, Spineless cactus whatever you call it, should not be wimpy or floppy. That is a pad that is not fresh. "

Typical prickly pear pads, Nopales, Spineless cactus that they sell in stores shouldn't be wimpy or floppy.

But some fresh cactus pads are soft. I have 5 species of Opuntia growing in my yard. Most are firm, but one species is really floppy. Also, I have another species that has young pads that are a little floppy. One thing that is good about cactus pads is that when I go on vacation, I throw in a pad or two for my tortoises and that will provide food for the next few days.

I used to feed my star tortoises Opuntia cactus quite often and never experienced runny stools. I would mix in lots of grass and various greens though. I wouldn't give them too much at a time though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks Rob great explaination of planting. Yeah, just about any soil will do as long as it drains well. Cactus likes neglect. Actually when I fawn over my cactus they don't seem to do as well. So if your not good at growing stuff Cactus is a great plant for you. It's what got my green thumb growing.:D

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Also, when you grow "spineless" prickly pear...make sure you use something to handle them because of the glochids(spelling), tiny tiny spines that are a pain to pull out cause they are hard to see. I use to wear leather gloves, but some of the glochids still got to me. Now I use barbeque tongs to hold the cacti in place as I plant them or to pull off pads.

Sometimes I use two rocks (one on each side of the pad) to hold it in place until roots establish. It is not necessary, but it helps instead of having to "fix" the pad if it falls down for whatever reason.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Of all things what did I see today at my fruit stand? Prickly pears.. 4 fpr $1.00 .. not bad!! Guess Im going to see if Waldo likes it tomorrow.. A small amont, maybe the size of a quarter? Just so I have this correct and in PRINT for me to read.. lol.. This is okay for Greeks right? Always so worried if Im giving him the right thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.