Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I received this email a couple days ago:

Hello folks,
We grow edible cactus for human consumption here in California. We have been certified organic since 1992.

Many of our customers buy for their tortoises. WE enjoy torts, and appreciate the help you give torts. Therefore for right now, we'd like to offer you a fifty pound box of cactus for $50, plus the shipping charges (probably about $25). We have more growth than we are selling, and are willing to pass on some savings to people doing good work.

We'd probably be sending the more mature leaves, they last longer anyway.

I have no idea how long we'll extend this price, but rest assured, anytime we have plenty of leaves and are not cutting into our sales to our higher paying customers, we'd extend special pricing on to you and similar type folks (including clubs). So if you need leaves, give a call or e-mail and let me know, I'll try to see how we can send you some leaves that we're looking to get rid of and let them go for special prices.

Thanks,
John

Rivenrock Gardens
John and Vickie Dicus
www.rivenrock.com

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
When giving cactus to torts, do you need to take the spines off? I have always done this but don't know if it's necessary.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes you need to remove the spines, there is also spineless, but check them as well.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Almost all of the opuntias that are grown for human consumption are (spineless), meaning they have these very small annoying spines that get into your fingers that you can barely see. I know this because I grow 3 different varieties for my guys here in South Florida. And in that case, no you do not need to remove the spines. I have had my smallest babies eat these as part of their diet for years with no ill effects, not to mention the adults. These animals eat cactus in the wild and no one is removing the spines for them. LOL Best Douglas

PS: that is a really great price and as long as you do not let them get wet the mature pads will hold in cool to intermediate temps for months. If they are really thick pads I cut them into bean size slices.

Status
Not open for further replies.