Prickly pear cactus leaves, anyone? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
OK, so I am diligently plowing through the Chaco sections of Vinke's South American Tortoises, and in the Captive Care chapter, there is a paragraph that reads, "Of special note regarding Chaco tortoises: in our experience, this species shows signs of deficiency if their diet in captivity does not include enough prickly pear cactus leaves, even in a near natural enclosure...this species should be considered a specialized feeder." It goes on to say that when the authors kept prickly pear cactus leaves and fruit available, the captive Chacos "became more active, healthier and stronger...":(

Danny, are you out there? Do you feed your Chacos prickly pear, and if so, where do you buy them? Do you consider this food essential for your Chacos?:rolleyes:

Does anyone else out there know where I could find prickly pear cactus leaves?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Stephanie, I see you live in Colorado, correct. You should be able to find them in a Mexican grocery or you can check with a farmer or rancher on the plains as far as collecting some on their land. The native prickly pear should grow well in the enclosure.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I have found them in some Kroger grocery stores, and even Wal-mart once. You can ask for nopales, which is another common name. It is a fairly common food in Mexican recipes, and you can buy them on-line. I think there have been some postings in the "for sale" section by people who will ship them to you too.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nope don't feed cactus pads now. The grocery stores here stopped carrying them over 10 years ago. My Chacos never cared much for cactus pads. The only tortoises I could get to eat them were my Redfoots and Yellowfoots. :D
Mine are doing fine without them. Got a female looking to nest as I type, so I'm doing something right (even without cactus pads). :p

Danny

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you get one pad, cut it in half, feed one half and plant the other! let the end dry a bit and plop it into well drained soil. in pot is fine. I have it growing out in the median in front of the house.. hmmm I wonder how it got there... and one in a pot. the deer mess with it, but they dont take much. they did knock it over once, but it recovered.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
They are hardy little (or) big plants. and even on their side will sprout. I love to cut shapes out of mine. I use cookie cutters to cut out shapes on the thinner leaves while they are still growing and make desiner art in the pad itself as I don't need much to feed the younger ones. It looks cute in the yard and the kids love it. For the larger ones I just cut off a pad and chop it up into enough sections for my bigger torts. :) Plus it makes great candy for me and I love it in burritos, tacos and salads.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
egyptiandan said:
Nope don't feed cactus pads now. The grocery stores here stopped carrying them over 10 years ago. My Chacos never cared much for cactus pads. The only tortoises I could get to eat them were my Redfoots and Yellowfoots. :D
Mine are doing fine without them. Got a female looking to nest as I type, so I'm doing something right (even without cactus pads). :p

Danny

Are you guys talking about the actual catus, when you say "pad". Or the fruit it grows? I can feed both to my red foot?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Pads are the cactus itself. :) and yes you can feed the pads and the fruit to your Redfoot.

Danny

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Thanks guys. I love this forum! Thanks, Danny, for the reassurance that Taco may learn to live without prickly pear cactus (there are just so many details to proper tortoise husbandry!). However, Robyn, I wouldn't mind having one around to grow and supply one more possible source of food for Miss Picky Eater. Maybe if I rub the pads with grape or watermelon pieces....

By the way, Yvonne, Danny, Laura, and all the rest of you who advised me, Taco is eating more every day, since I started rubbing fruit onto her greens, and then chopping fruit and greens very small and all mixed together, and leaving her alone to eat it. In fact, I got a very funny picture of her with butternut squash smeared all over her face yesterday. I will post that as soon as my daughter uploads it. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.