Calcium buildup on carapace

dwright27

5 Year Member
Good morning,
I have neglected to use distilled water in my fogger, and my cherry-head has a buildup of calcium on his shell now. I have been soaking him and using a baby toothbrush (which he hates) but once he dries, he still has a lot of white on him. Is there anything safe that I can use to clean him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Start using the distilled water for your fogger and for shell spraying (but not for drinking or soaking...) and in time the mineral deposits will fade and wear off. I had this problem years ago. No I collect, filter and store rainwater for all of my carapace wetness needs.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom,
I will try it soon. I'll probably distill it myself (I found an easy method) since i really don't want to pay for water if I don't have to lol.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
hates the toothbrush????? are you positive?? If I'm having a bad day I can scratch the "back" of either tort and laugh my a** off when they're like "oooooooohhhhhhh" never seen a red not spaz out getting their back scrubbed..

dwright27

5 Year Member
LOL! No Michael, I'm not positive. He just kinda tries to walk away from it.. And I never know how hard to scrub, I don't want to hurt him.