Came across this on instagram

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I can never understand how they think this is attractive.

Rue

Canada
Is that nail polish or just latex paint? If it's just latex it will wash off.

And while there's no danger using nail polish remover to take off a small dot of nail polish, I'd be hesitant to use enough to clean all that off.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Is that nail polish or just latex paint? If it's just latex it will wash off.

And while there's no danger using nail polish remover to take off a small dot of nail polish, I'd be hesitant to use enough to clean all that off.
I know most nail polish removers make your skin and nails dry after using them, I guess whatever chemicals it contains does that to strip off the paint. It might be the acetone in it. My mom use to work in a nial salon and mentioned the nail polish remover removes tat nautral polish your nails have also. BUT there is nail polish remover that is acetone free, you have to apply some pressure and extra rubbing to remove the nail polish though

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Someone once saw me with Oli in the sun, and asked me: "Would you like to paint the flag of a country on your tort?" "No way, thank you" I answered him. "You needn't worry about the money," he answered. "I'll do it free of charge." He did not seem to realize that money is not the issue.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
View attachment 173613 tried to be as polite as possible so hopefully they will not take offence.
I doubt the shell absorbs much UVB, but without doubt being painted on is unhealthy and stressful for tortoises (not to mention ugly), what a stupid idea! :mad:

It makes me so angry. People don't paint on dogs and cats so why paint on a tort? :(
Well, lots of people paint on dogs and cats. Hair dye, nail polish on their claws, strange hair cuts and "cute" clothes,... even declawing and other gruesome practices are common especially in USA, aren't they? :(

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I suspect little girls are involved here
I guess you mean stupid and irresponsible parents?
Children that are too young to understand how to treat a pet properly shouldn't be left alone with a tortoise and/or nail polish.

Hector108

I hate that. I rescued my tort from a guy that had two little girls that did this:

1463334837086.jpg

I am so lucky to have rescued her. The way she lived would have killed her.

Last edited by a moderator: