Can either of these be eaten by my hermann's?

marc.knuckle

5 Year Member
We have loads of these 2 flowers in the garden, are they edible?
IMG_20170407_142028_zpssmjztvlw.jpg

cheers

marc.knuckle

5 Year Member
i thought that was bluebell or something (still wasnt sure if bluebells could be eaten). any thoughts on the white one? someone said something like garlic flower but wasnt sure.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Are you from the UK Marc? We don't have bluebells in the U.S., so I've not seen many. While the grape hyacinth is related to the bluebell, they are definitely different. The flowers on the grape hyacinth are bunched clightly together (like grapes!), they are smaller and more numerous than those on a bluebell.

As for the second plant, It seems familiar, as if I've seen it in a plant book, but it's not something that grows near me.

If you pull it out of the ground, is there a small bulb at the bottom of the plant? It could be a Spring Star Flower. Six petals? These are in the allium (onion and garlic) family. I can't speak to safety. This site lists both wild onion and wild garlic as safe foods but the Tortoise Table does not support the feeding of this particular plant. The Tortoise Table site does not support the feeding of any plant that grows from bulbs. Not sure what to tell you about the different opinions, other than the Tortoise Table is quite conservative.

Your tortoise might not eat more than the flowers anyway. I personally would not fuss over a few flowers from this plant; others might.

Sorry not to have a definitive answer on safety.

IMG_3566.JPG

marc.knuckle

5 Year Member
thanks for the response.

yes, i am from the UK, hadnt thought about the flowers possibly only being specific to the UK or US etc.

that picture does look like the white ones i have in the garden.

thanks for the help.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
yes, i am from the UK, hadnt thought about the flowers possibly only being specific to the UK or US etc.

No worries, it just helps to know the geographic location when identifying. You can add your location to the "personal details" section of your settings and it will appear under your name on the left hand side of your posts.

You can also include the name of your state/country/county in the title of your posts: "UK Plant ID?" or something like that. That way, other members from the UK are more likely to take a look.