Can it be helped?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw, poor little Monkey. Best thing you can do is set it up indoors, in some sort of covered enclosure, with lots of plants and humidity and treat it like a brand new hatchling. Feed him a good, varied diet and provide a mild UVB light. Maintain the temperature, day and night at around 80-86°F. He will never look 'normal' but he should be ok with good care.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
But it's not just humidity or damp moss he needs. It's water too. this is a turtle I was given
his is abt a 6 or 7 year old box turtle I brought back from Texas as the turtle sanctuary that had him thought he was too common and deformed...lol anyhow...you can't see her because she's buried herself in the very wet substrate. Box turtles love to bury. Here is what I have done... she's in a 50 gallon tank or outside in the pond and she has to be in at night as I have predators...
100_0939.JPG
can you see her?
bet my sister sees her...
100_0940.JPG
anyhow...I have about 1/3 of it with a log hide on astroturf...never seen her eat any...then I have tossed some rocks just cuz...
100_0944.JPG

and daily I add water to make kind of a water feature...lol...so she can bury herself in the wet/sludge...haha
100_0941.JPG
100_0946.JPG

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Wow, that little thing is adorable! I hope he is happier in his new home with you.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
It's 4 yrs old and no bigger than a golf ball
The lady thought she was keeping it the right way and got tired of "caring " for it and gave it to me..any advice?View attachment 335068View attachment 335069View attachment 335070
Those living conditions are amazing. Not in a good way, but just knowing they can live in these type of conditions really makes me just surprised that they can tolerate such horrible arid conditions and still live their lives of being tortoises.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I've never seen that happen with a box turtle....bad joke...but he grew "up"......and I share the shell-fracture concerns. What is the best course of treatment, from our pros here? Is there one?

I applaud you Katie for rescuing the little runt.

Keep posting......and let us know how he's doing!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yes, well, it needs a very humid and even wet environment, like for captive hatchlings.

I know it's tiny, but give it at least 30 gallons of space. A terrarium would work fine. Wringing wet coco coir and/or asian moss. Ambient temps (the entire habitat) 80-86*F all the time (no basking spot necessary). A strip uvb radiation tube.

The fact that the carapace still has the hatchling spots is quite concerning. So is the possible crack. The moss nursery will hopefully provide enough humid warmth to allow keratin to be laid down and to stretch.

Feed it like a box turtle: worms and berries. Some baby food greens or pureed mature leafy greens can be dripped onto fruit to round out nutrition. If it cannot strike and eat worms, try a water-soaked meat-based turtle pellet:

Soak daily and make sure it can reach water (soak several times daily if it cannot soak itself or drink).

Holler if you need help!

Katie11

Baker fl
Yes, well, it needs a very humid and even wet environment, like for captive hatchlings.

I know it's tiny, but give it at least 30 gallons of space. A terrarium would work fine. Wringing wet coco coir and/or asian moss. Ambient temps (the entire habitat) 80-86*F all the time (no basking spot necessary). A strip uvb radiation tube.

The fact that the carapace still has the hatchling spots is quite concerning. So is the possible crack. The moss nursery will hopefully provide enough humid warmth to allow keratin to be laid down and to stretch.

Feed it like a box turtle: worms and berries. Some baby food greens or pureed mature leafy greens can be dripped onto fruit to round out nutrition. If it cannot strike and eat worms, try a water-soaked meat-based turtle pellet:

Soak daily and make sure it can reach water (soak several times daily if it cannot soak itself or drink).

Holler if you need help!
Thank u guys for all ur input and advice..
I'll keep y'all updated

Katie11

Baker fl
But it's not just humidity or damp moss he needs. It's water too. this is a turtle I was given
his is abt a 6 or 7 year old box turtle I brought back from Texas as the turtle sanctuary that had him thought he was too common and deformed...lol anyhow...you can't see her because she's buried herself in the very wet substrate. Box turtles love to bury. Here is what I have done... she's in a 50 gallon tank or outside in the pond and she has to be in at night as I have predators...
View attachment 335071
can you see her?
bet my sister sees her...
View attachment 335073
anyhow...I have about 1/3 of it with a log hide on astroturf...never seen her eat any...then I have tossed some rocks just cuz...
View attachment 335074

and daily I add water to make kind of a water feature...lol...so she can bury herself in the wet/sludge...haha
View attachment 335076
View attachment 335077
I see her in the 1st pic???

ZenHerper

New Jersey
And no it won't eat
I've tried mashed fruits and she was giving it aquatic turtle pellets for 4 yrs
Be patient. Turtles hate change as much as tortoises do, even if it's improvement.

Try a live worm.

This time of year there will be a really intense slow down. As long as it stays hydrated, it should be fine.

Florida box turtles often have a very distinctively striped plastron. But I think this really looks like a Gulf Coast hatchling from the top.