Can this three toed boxie be a hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, NY
So i purchased a three toed boxie and was told that he/she is approximately 6 months old. I figured that would be perfect because Pepper is about 6 months old and in a short period of quarantine I can try to put them together. Well the boxie was supposed to arrive by 10:30am on Thursday but there were some delays. Long story short, i called fedex many times because if i didn't she probably would have spent the night at fedex. Yes, i cried like a baby because I was scared I would open the package and find her dead (I'm a bit dramatic).

Soooooo....I opened the package and to my surprise the boxie is tiny. Tiny like hatchling tiny lol. My Pepper looks like a giant compared to her. But the thing that i was annoyed with was the fact that she actually cost more than the other babies (I guess because she has some markings on her shell)...BUT...some of her toenails are missing and one of her back toes is twisted backward. She also had puffy eyes and walks funny. I've had her for 2 days and it seems the puffy eyes are better, but still walks funny.

Sorry for ranting on and on....Here are some pics.

Here's Pepper and the new guy. They're the "same age".
PhotoMar31113518AM.jpg

Heres the witto wun =) You can see one of the twisted/bend toes in the back.
PhotoMar31113731AM.jpg

You can see a missing/broken nail in the front
PhotoMar31113927AM.jpg

So do you guys think he's all three toed? Or part something else?
Also i forgot to mention, is it normal for the bottom mouth/beak to curve so much upward into the mouth? He also seems to have a slight overgrown beak for such a young boxie. I'm just curious because Pepper's beak isn't like that.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I think that you have a very nice three toed hatchling. It will most probably be a nicely patterned adult to boot.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I cant really tell by the pictures..maybe if you get the chance you can get a clear close-up of the feet and the beak....the silver bowl has too much glare for me to see clearly.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
that coloring will develope into a nice three toed pattern i do believe. from what ive seen of little ones they look very similer to this when young, your pepper, appears to have exceptional coloring, my newest male walter has this coloring and you are lucky to have it!, where did you buy this little one? most commercial breeders strive to keep pure strains and wouldnt allow cross breeding (not that it doesnt happen from time to time) but i think now that he is in a good home with lots of food and non crowded conditions he will recover, as nipping from others is very common where lots of babies are kept together, itll be intersting to see how his colors develop overtime, he MAY be a cross BUT ive seen young TTBT's with this coloring so only time will tell :)

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
turtlemann2 said:
that coloring will develope into a nice three toed pattern i do believe. from what ive seen of little ones they look very similer to this when young, your pepper, appears to have exceptional coloring, my newest male walter has this coloring and you are lucky to have it!, where did you buy this little one? most commercial breeders strive to keep pure strains and wouldnt allow cross breeding (not that it doesnt happen from time to time) but i think now that he is in a good home with lots of food and non crowded conditions he will recover, as nipping from others is very common where lots of babies are kept together, itll be intersting to see how his colors develop overtime, he MAY be a cross BUT ive seen young TTBT's with this coloring so only time will tell :)

Pepper (the bigger one) is actually from LLLreptile, she was a bday present :) The small one I got from mynewturtle.com. I didn't think about that....that the other babies that could have done that him. Thanks for your help :)

jojodesca said:
I cant really tell by the pictures..maybe if you get the chance you can get a clear close-up of the feet and the beak....the silver bowl has too much glare for me to see clearly.

I'll try to get new pics tomorrow, after I dig him out to feed him, he digs right back down when he's done lol.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Mynewturtle ONLY sells TTBT's if i recall, and ive usually only heard wonderful things about her and her turtles :(, id be pretty confident it was a pure TT if it were from MNT, maybe send her a message confirming it. she has a facebook which is a really easy way to get in touch with her

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its a very poorly cared for 3-toed box turtle that is going to grow up into a lovely colored adult turtle. I can believe the size after seeing the beak. I wonder what they were fed for the beak to look like that. Be sure to put in a cuttle bone and let him/her bite the food, don't chop it up.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
emysemys said:
Its a very poorly cared for 3-toed box turtle that is going to grow up into a lovely colored adult turtle. I can believe the size after seeing the beak. I wonder what they were fed for the beak to look like that. Be sure to put in a cuttle bone and let him/her bite the food, don't chop it up.

K, I will, thanks. I asked the night before what she fed them. She said worms and veggies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
There is possibility you have an inter grade with an eastern or gulf coast. A hybrid with ornate only if housed together in captivity (different habitats in wild).

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I agree with Yvonne. I've seen TT's that look like that. I think she'll be beautiful and full of color when she gets older. Make sure you feed her on the tile, and put some cuttlefish bone in to help with that beak. Someone gave me one that is over a year and is just as small and very bumpy. That little guy is really nice looking.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yeah I have Mynewturtle as a fb friend..and she has some pics of ttbt on her website...do you think the nail could have came off in the packaging?...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I got my leopard from the same place. She is very nice, but not up on the best care in my opinion. She is why my leopard started to pyramid, until I found this forum.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
jojodesca said:
Yeah I have Mynewturtle as a fb friend..and she has some pics of ttbt on her website...do you think the nail could have came off in the packaging?...

She was packaged in something that looks like coco coir and it's several nails missing or twisted the wrong way. It's ok though, there's no blood or anything.

terryo said:
I agree with Yvonne. I've seen TT's that look like that. I think she'll be beautiful and full of color when she gets older. Make sure you feed her on the tile, and put some cuttlefish bone in to help with that beak. Someone gave me one that is over a year and is just as small and very bumpy. That little guy is really nice looking.

I will, thanks :) She's a good eater though, so thank god for that.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
WallieTheTortoise said:
jojodesca said:

She was packaged in something that looks like coco coir and it's several nails missing or twisted the wrong way. It's ok though, there's no blood or anything.

still, it sounds like you got a bum deal unless it was listed as special needs...did she give you a number of the baby (example baby #5, #6)...she has pics on her fb page and website...

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
jojodesca said:
still, it sounds like you got a bum deal unless it was listed as special needs...did she give you a number of the baby (example baby #5, #6)...she has pics on her fb page and website...

His pic is still on her website, but the thing is that it doesn't really look like him. The only way I could tell it was him is the shell pattern. I'm not really sure when she took that picture

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
Nice. I found a similar one in the wild last week. I have it's picture and will post it. I think the one I saw is a cross between a three-toed and an ornate. She's the most beautiful three-toed I have ever seen in the wild here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the first things you can notice on a baby box turtle that is starting to suffer from MBD is curly toe nails. More than likely the broken off ones were curly and sticking up at odd angles and got broken of because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.