Can you help me with the sex...again???

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren80

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dorset, England
untitled.pnguntitled2.pngI have uploaded pictures before..but I am still unsure of Pebbles sex, some times the tail is tucked under, sometimes its straight out. 'she' is bigger than her friend BamBam, but aprox. a year older (3 yrs old ish)...BamBam is definately a boy..I was shocked when I first saw his bits:D!!! ha ha. Pebble has never been so extrovert if she is a he...any guesses? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
from the pictures it is kind of hard tell, but I am guessing female; however being only three and I think I see a little bit of hook on the end it may be a male.

I know not very conclusive, but too me I would say I am 75% positive female.

Jon

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Another vote for male. The pic is pretty small and dark, but I'm seeing a slit-shaped cloaca, a hook at the end of the tail, and the shape of the anal scutes scream "male" (forgive me, my descriptive powers are awful, or I'd try to explain why they look male to me..).

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I think male too. That tale is pretty chubby and not very stubby. Are you sure of the age (i.e., is it captive bred) and how big is it? It may be too early to tell, but it's reading male to me too.

Also the anal scutes point outward. Pretty confident it's male.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I would have to lean ever so slightly toward female...just because of how humongo crazy big and long male tails can be. Time will tell...

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
That's true. Male tails are crazy, and this would definitely be subdued for a full grown male. That's why actual age is important. I agree that time will tell.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
True, males' tails can be huge... But that's not a hard and fast rule. As well, you have to take into consideration the angle of the tail in the (second) picture. It's pointed mostly toward the camera, a perception that makes it naturally look smaller. I still think it's way too big to be a female's tail, despite being small compared to a lot of males.

Putting aside tail size, s/he does have other characteristics pointing toward male. The shape of the cloaca, from this angle, appears to be a slit. Females generally have a * shaped cloaca... As well, I'm seeing a "hook" at the end of the tail, and the anal scutes are wide and pointed away from each other.

At least, that's how I came to the conclusion I did. Who really knows, until s/he either lays eggs or "flashes" someone... ;)

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Oh, I'm still pretty confident this one is male. The only things that would change my opinion are if I discovered that this was wild caught and bigger than 6". However, it looks CB and smaller than that. The female tails I've seen were really little more than stubs, and those scutes are really wide. However, it's still so young that I wouldn't rule anything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.