CANDLING

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
I have been candling our aldabra eggs for years. I seem to struggle with a perfected method. I have gotten decent over the years, however I have really been of base sometimes. I am thinking if possible our experts and active members would post pictures and a general explanation of how they candle the eggs. Thanks to all. Greg.

I just candled our first clutch of aldabra eggs of the season. They were laid on the evening of Nevember 2, 2009. The clutch consisted of 15 good solid eggs with no notable issues. I think the clutch consist of 9 fertile and 6 non fertile. It has been 21 days. I use a mini mag light in total darkness. I usually can very easily determine non fertility as it appears clear with a light orange color throughtout. The fertile eggs usually have an off colored, usually grayish, growth within the upper portion centered in the egg.

armandoarturo

5 Year Member
Mexico
Hey!
Well.. I have only incubated one clutch of eggs... I never incubate them, but this time was different because I got the eggs from a woman that didnt know anything about tortoises, and her tortoise deposited the eggs just there above the cement.
As soon as I knew about this, I went to the womans house and asked her If I could get the eggs, fortunately she agreed.
All the time I knew there wasnt any chance that they would make it, because the lady moved them a lot of times, and I didnt have an incubator..
but around day 75... I candled them with my cellphone led light... and i found this....
For sure one of the most touching experiences in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB1Cu3UPL8Q

REDFOOTMATT

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
CA
I too would like to learn more in regard to candeling. Pictures would be awesome with the descriptions.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
you know I candle all my babcocki eggs the problem is taking pictures of the candleing process. Either the flash messes up the pics or I turn off the flash and you cant see the whole egg. I have taken a 100 photos of this over the years with no luck. Does anyone have an idea on how to take pics in the dark on a candled egg?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
onarock said:
you know I candle all my babcocki eggs the problem is taking pictures of the candleing process. Either the flash messes up the pics or I turn off the flash and you cant see the whole egg. I have taken a 100 photos of this over the years with no luck. Does anyone have an idea on how to take pics in the dark on a candled egg?

I find the same problem. We invested in a real good camera this year and I plan on taking really good future pictures in theses areas. 1. Eggs being laid, 2. breeding, 3. hatching out, and 4. candling.

I have spend an enormous amount of time reading things on this forum from years back, very good stuff. I hope this new thread brings alot of our experts and active members sharing there experiences with this area for all to experience and learn.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
ALDABRAMAN said:
onarock said:

I find the same problem. We invested in a real good camera this year and I plan on taking really good future pictures in theses areas. 1. Eggs being laid, 2. breeding, 3. hatching out, and 4. candling.

I have spend an enormous amount of time ready things on this forum from years back, very good stuff. I hope this new thread brings alot of our experts and active members sharing there experiences with this area for all to experience and learn.

I'm in the same boat, bought an expensive camera and now I take expensive bad pics. I usually look at the color of the egg after it "chalks" up. If it has a skylight in my experience its no good, if after a couple weeks its still white, again no good. I'm not the most experienced tortoise keeper on the forum, but I have hatched many eggs. I can usually tell after 2 weeks and if their pinkish, they got a chance. Yellow, no good.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have yet to incubate tortoise eggs (incubated a lot of others over the years) but from what I have read conventional wisdom is to put them in the incubator and let them incubate until they either hatch or burst. We have had several instances where members have had stinky, moldy, disgusting, WAY over-due eggs suddenly pop out baby tortoises, lol.

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree with Kristina, Nature will take it's course. Candling is just something to do because we are anxious. I say set' em and forget 'em. (not much help, I know)

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
armandoarturo said:
Hey!
Well.. I have only incubated one clutch of eggs... I never incubate them, but this time was different because I got the eggs from a woman that didnt know anything about tortoises, and her tortoise deposited the eggs just there above the cement.
As soon as I knew about this, I went to the womans house and asked her If I could get the eggs, fortunately she agreed.
All the time I knew there wasnt any chance that they would make it, because the lady moved them a lot of times, and I didnt have an incubator..
but around day 75... I candled them with my cellphone led light... and i found this....
For sure one of the most touching experiences in my life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB1Cu3UPL8Q

That's so precious! <3

I've seen chicken eggs candled and filmed, so maybe a chicken egg candler is the way to go?

It's like an ultrasound-- you don't *need* one, but it's exciting to see the beebees!

Status
Not open for further replies.