Carapace question

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have been researching and exploring ideas for my next tortoise, which will hopefully be in about 2 more years, after I retire. I was thinking very seriously about Burmese stars because they are so gorgeous, but the price is just too much for us. Although Indian Stars are also pricy, they're not as high as Burmese, so we could probably handle that. But no matter WHERE I search, all over the Internet, EVERY adult Indian star has a lumpy carapace, sometimes severely so. I don't know if this is pyramiding or if it's a natural characteristic of the Indian stars? I've seen plenty of photos of smooth shelled Burmese, but have NEVER (and believe me, I've searched) seen a smooth shelled Indian star ADULT. Anybody know what the deal is with lumpy Indian star adults???? :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like you're going to have to get hatchlings so you can raise them smooth. The star people just haven't gotten tuned in yet to the humid theory.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
There are occasional smooth ones to be found, but it is difficult. There's a smooth fully grown male for sale in a pet shop near me and it's such a surprise to see that I'd buy it except that I have plenty of males already.

Almost all of mine have some pyramiding. The ones that are still growing are growing out smoothly, but their pyramiding is here to stay. My youngest will look pretty smooth when full grown, but I've soaked them regularly and their vivariums are all pretty humid.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Ultimately I think that Yvonne's right. Star owners must have been slow to make the transition.

I purchased a European captive bred female a few months ago from LLL.Reptiles and it's pretty smooth. It's still quite young, but unlike the rest of my young "females" it appears to be legitimately female. The rest looked like females originally, but they're flashing now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also be aware that these two species are VASTLY different in many ways including personality, temperature tolerances, hardiness, etc...

Berkeley

They are out there. I've got several adults with smooth shells, and have seen dozens of others. The majority of stars do have some pyramiding, but that is also one of the characteristics of the species. I have personally seen that statement in books and other publications. Many of the wild stars have some low to moderate pyramiding. Pictured below (first) is one of my captive adult males. He is 6.25 inches long.
IMG_1995.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of some wild stars in Tengamarada (sp?) India, that a buddy of mine was doing some research on. Notice they have a little pyramiding. These are two different animals, found in separate places.
P1050191.JPG

Star.JPG

And here is another pic of a captive star with a smooth shell (not my turtle, not my pic. I found it on the internet):
Star7.jpg

And finally, just for reference, a platynota with a nicely pyramided shell (again, not my pic. From the internet):
1346382.jpg

I hope that helps ease your mind a little bit. I think a low-to-moderately pyramided star is quite natural looking, and even lovely. Honestly, the smooth ones look a little funny to me.
--Berkeley

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks so much for all the feed back!:)

As far as the differences between Indians and Burmese, I THINK the Indian stars get a little bigger and need a drier climate?
The Burmese can tolerate humidity better and are more hardy overall?
I think also the Indian stars are GENERALLY more shy and the Burmese more outgoing?
Since I live in a hot, humid climate (south Louisiana, USA) it may be that a Burmese would fare better here than an Indian?
Please correct me of any of my ideas are wrong! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Burmese get a little bigger.
Either species has a monsoon season with hot humid weather, and as far as I can tell, both species do fine with humidity. In my experience the Burmese are hardier and more adaptable.
Of all the ones that I have seen Indian stars are more shy than Burmese. I'm sure some will argue this point...
I think either species will do well in your climate if managed properly, but stars like it hot and Indian stars even more so.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Those photo are from one of my friend. All CB from hatchling. Not so bad I think.

I have more pics if you like to see. He have all three different kind of stars.

001 (15).JPG 001 (16).JPG 001 (17).JPG 001 (40).JPG

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Those are beautiful!!! And I think I kind of agree with Berkeley- a LITTLE bit of pyramiding can look kind of interesting. :)