Ceramic heat emitter for baby hermann

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
Is it worth getting a ceramic heat emitter for a hatchling? At the moment the temperate is around 20 at night. During the day the basking area side is 36 and the cooler side is around 22. Would I need a CHE?
Natalie x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you should. The day time all over temp should be 75-80F
Basking 95-100F
Night 70F

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
20C is the lowest I would go, if you fear that it will drop any lower, a CHE with a thermostat will avoid this problem alltogether.

Natalie44

Essex
20C is the lowest I would go, if you fear that it will drop any lower, a CHE with a thermostat will avoid this problem alltogether.
Thank you for your advise :) is the ceramic heat emitter I attached okay? Or is zoomed preferred?

Attachments

• IMG_4686.jpeg
    IMG_4686.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you for your advise :) is the ceramic heat emitter I attached okay? Or is zoomed preferred?
Definitely get a ceramic to make up the heat, it shouldn’t affect the humidity providing you’re going to be adding the greenhouse covering.
I’d personally opt for the zoomed simply because I know the brand is reputable, sometimes the cheap CHE’s don’t last very long, however that one you attached should also do the job for the time it works🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
ZooMed, Arcadia and ProRep (UK local brand) are known to be working for years without issues. With cheaper alternatives (like SwellReptile and numerous chinese brands) you play a lottery: it can die in a few weeks or work as new for decades.

Make sure to get a thermostat to watch temperatures and turn heater on and off for you. A simple on/off thermostat will do the job. Habistat are reliable.

Natalie44

Essex
Definitely get a ceramic to make up the heat, it shouldn’t affect the humidity providing you’re going to be adding the greenhouse covering.
I’d personally opt for the zoomed simply because I know the brand is reputable, sometimes the cheap CHE’s don’t last very long, however that one you attached should also do the job for the time it works🙂
Okay great :) what are some other ways to amp up the humidity? I’ve heard putting the water dish close to the basking area can help? And spraying the substrate 3 times a day.
Natalie x

Natalie44

Essex
ZooMed, Arcadia and ProRep (UK local brand) are known to be working for years without issues. With cheaper alternatives (like SwellReptile and numerous chinese brands) you play a lottery: it can die in a few weeks or work as new for decades.

Make sure to get a thermostat to watch temperatures and turn heater on and off for you. A simple on/off thermostat will do the job. Habistat are reliable.

Ah thank you. I’ll have a look at the Arcadia CHE. Would I need a dome bulb holder for that?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Okay great :) what are some other ways to amp up the humidity? I’ve heard putting the water dish close to the basking area can help? And spraying the substrate 3 times a day.
Natalie x
The water by the heat can definitely help, as well as real plants.
I’d recommend pouring some Luke warm water into the corners of the substrate(if you haven’t already maybe add some liner like a shower curtain or cheap ponder liner, I only say cause I notice your table is wooden)not loads, but enough to keep the under layer damp, creating the humidity, but keeping the top layer dry, the trouble with constant misting is one, too much air moisture, which can cause respiratory issues, and two, it could keep the top of your substrate too damp, which if your tort is sat on all day can cause a mild fungal infection.
If after the pours your humidity is still struggling at times, then by all means I don’t think a light spray here n there will hurt, we used to have to do things that way with our old enclosure that could no longer hold the humidity properly.
To be honest though, I think with the greenhouse and pouring, your humidity should be ok🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ah thank you. I’ll have a look at the Arcadia CHE. Would I need a dome bulb holder for that?
I’d probably opt to use a dome as it helps project the heat downwards, it depends, some don’t and find their temps are still ok, a dome fitting definitely wouldn’t hurt though🙂

Natalie44

Essex
I’d probably opt to use a dome as it helps project the heat downwards, it depends, some don’t and find their temps are still ok, a dome fitting definitely wouldn’t hurt though🙂
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom :) another thing (sorry!) I’ve noticed even though the temperatures good at the moment on each end of the enclosure the coco coir is damp and a little cool to touch. Is that okay? Do you think once I get the CHE the substrate will get a little warmer?
Natalie x

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Thank you so much for your words of wisdom :) another thing (sorry!) I’ve noticed even though the temperatures good at the moment on each end of the enclosure the coco coir is damp and a little cool to touch. Is that okay? Do you think once I get the CHE the substrate will get a little warmer?
Natalie x
It's okay when it's damp and cool in the open table - water evaporates from substrate cooling it down. With a greenhouse on top heat distribution will be more even and because of higher ambient humidity there will be less evaporation. Also, tortoises often burrow to cool down, so it works as intended :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Natalie x
The substrate feeling a little cool is ok because they bury themselves down into it to thermo regulate/cool down, as long as the ambient temperatures are reading correctly then it’s fine, I would personally go for digital monitors over gauges for a more accurate reading on your air temps, the probes are more reliable, but don’t worry if you have gauges for now, just do plenty of back up checks with a temp gun(they’re reasonably priced) things will also warm up once you have you greenhouse topper.
As for the che, that isn’t going to be giving you extra heat, it acts to make up for any loss of heat in the environment, hence it will need to be on a thermostat(on/off one will work fine) so it doesn’t get too warm. Say on a cooler day if your flood lamp isn’t getting the ambient temp high enough, a che will kick in to make up for it, same with cooler nights once the floodlight is off, if the temp drops too much it will kick in🙂

Natalie44

Essex
The substrate feeling a little cool is ok because they bury themselves down into it to thermo regulate/cool down, as long as the ambient temperatures are reading correctly then it’s fine, I would personally go for digital monitors over gauges for a more accurate reading on your air temps, the probes are more reliable, but don’t worry if you have gauges for now, just do plenty of back up checks with a temp gun(they’re reasonably priced) things will also warm up once you have you greenhouse topper.
As for the che, that isn’t going to be giving you extra heat, it acts to make up for any loss of heat in the environment, hence it will need to be on a thermostat(on/off one will work fine) so it doesn’t get too warm. Say on a cooler day if your flood lamp isn’t getting the ambient temp high enough, a che will kick in to make up for it, same with cooler nights once the floodlight is off, if the temp drops too much it will kick in🙂
You guys are so smart! Lol I’m glad I came across this forum :) I’ve attached a picture of a digital thermometer that I found. Let me know if it’s any good 👍 and the other pic is the thermometer I’ve already got. Is it any good?
Natalie x

Attachments

• IMG_4697.jpeg
    IMG_4697.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4695.jpeg
    IMG_4695.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You guys are so smart! Lol I’m glad I came across this forum :) I’ve attached a picture of a digital thermometer that I found. Let me know if it’s any good 👍 and the other pic is the thermometer I’ve already got. Is it any good?
Natalie x
Yep that one you’ve attached will work fine, we use the combometer version of that monitor(to measure both the humidity and the temperature)never had any issues with it🙂
I can’t speak for the other monitor but I think lots of members use similar ones so I’m sure it’s fine😊

Natalie44

Essex
Yep that one you’ve attached will work fine, we use the combometer version of that monitor(to measure both the humidity and the temperature)never had any issues with it🙂
I can’t speak for the other monitor but I think lots of members use similar ones so I’m sure it’s fine😊
Ah brilliant :) thank god you said the one I already have is fine because the other one was pricey! Lol so would I absolutely need a pulse thermostat for the CHE? or would a temperature gun suffice?
Natalie x

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ah brilliant :) thank god you said the one I already have is fine because the other one was pricey! Lol so would I absolutely need a pulse thermostat for the CHE? or would a temperature gun suffice?
Natalie x
Sorry I did mean the one you attached as in the exo terra(we use the combo version of it)it’s a good investment.
But the one you have, I believe it’s an incubator style? I’ve seen plenty of members use, they absolutely do the job if you’re doing back up checks with the temp gun🙂

As for the thermostat, the CHE will definitely need to be on one, without it, it will be turned on at all times which could overheat the enclosure, a thermostat probe gauges what the temperature in the enclosure is, so the CHE bulb only turns on when needed. As for it being a pulse thermostat however, whilst they are technically more sophisticated and designed for CHE’s(we use them and like them) they are more pricey, a 600w on/off thermostat will do the trick🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Natalie x
The cheaper thermomter/hygrometer is fine. You can get them from a hardware store for 5 pounds. The only downside - it doesn't have wires with a probe, so it's a bit harder to place. And no cute lizard on the packaging.

You don't need pulse thermostat, cheaper on/off will work. Thermostat turns heater on and off automatically to maintain desired temperature. Temperature gun - just measures surface temperatures (basking area slate, tortoise shell, substrate in the hide and so on).

On my list of priorities a thermostat is more important (and helps to save on electricity bill - on warmer days it keeps heater off)